Chapter 4- I'm sorry

Bokuto woke up in the morning, seeing the sun was still rising so stopped by his window and watched it for a bit before going off to get ready. he got dressed into his school uniform had a quick breakfast and checked all his messages, flapping his hands in excitement when he saw Akaashi had text a response. he read the text, pouting  at what it said.

I'm sorry for the slow response Bokuto, I was really busy and then fell asleep. I hope you aren't too upset. I'll make sure to let you know if I'm busy in the future.

Bokuto sighed, a worried expression on his face. He typed a short reply out to let the setter know it's okay and he wasn't mad. He finished getting ready and started walking to school.

He eventually arrived just in time for morning practice, he unlocked the gym and walked in. he heard someone else enter so turned around, smiling widely when he saw Akaashi he raced over to the boy, pulling him into a hug. Akaashi tensed up at first, immediately relaxing when he felt safe and not pressured to be in the hug.

"AKKAASSSHHHIIII"

"good morning Bokuto-San"

"Morning Akaashi!"

Bokuto let the boy out of the hug and smiled down at him, Akaashi had to admit Bokuto had a pretty smile and was a kind soul. Ever since the two met Akaashi felt he could trust Bokuto, he felt safe around the boy. Bokuto bounced on the spot a few times before going to the storage cupboard to set everything up. Akaashi walked over to help, grabbing a few things before Bokuto could do the last few things to help out, Bokuto held an upset look before realising what Akaashi was doing so followed him around like a lost puppy.

"you don't have to AGHaasHI"

"it's okay Bokuto I don't mind helping."

"Okay! Say AGhasI?"

"yes Bokuto-San?"

"could we try something new? I saw this cool spike that I want to try, and I want you to be the setter to help me do it!"

"of course, we can Bokuto-San"

"YESSSSSS THANK YOU AGHASSHI"

"you're welcome Bokuto-San."

Once the rest of the equipment was set up, Bokuto moved around while explaining to Akaashi what he wanted to achieve, the setter focusing intently on every word spoken and trying to work out a way to get it to work. Bokuto finished his small ramble, staring at Akaashi before looking down after seeing the setter wasn't making eye contact and seemed very deep in thought.

"sorry I probably made it confuse... I overexplained didn't I? it's hard for me because I have- well I'm Neurodivergent".

"No no it's okay Bokuto, thank you for telling me-"

"we can just leave it... it's okay" Bokuto spun the ball in his hands, quickly moving to grab as he lost his grip on it. Akaashi managed to stop the ball first and passed it back to Bokuto, making eye contact for a bit.

"Bokuto you're okay, I don't see you any different. I just said thank you because then it lets me know that you're trying you're hardest. I know it must be hard."

Bokuto sniffled a little and nodded his head, tossing the ball and catching it "oh- okay! It's just people say I'm too much and broken and and-" looking down as some tears fell.

Akaashi walked over and standing in front of Bokuto gently, not wanting to step over any boundaries Akaashi wipes Bokuto's tears but gave him personal space and allowed him to say if he was ever uncomfortable "I promise it's okay to feel more intensely and you're not too much. I think it's sweet now how about we try this spike you wanted to"

Bokuto looked up, gulping away the tears and got into a position to start the spike he wanted to. He nodded his head to tell Akaashi he was ready starting to cheer up already.

"Let's start with a simple set and spike just so I can get used to your preferences and then we can try this new one, okay?"

"okay!"

Akaashi nodded to let Bokuto know he was ready and set the ball for him, going a little higher and away from the net. Bokuto charged towards the ball and spiked it managing to but not super easily. Akaashi walked over to retrieve.

"I'll set it lower this time how was the distance?"

"the height wasn't the worse like I could hit it, but I wasn't super easy but possible. Um could I have it closer but not super closer like half of half of what that was closer."

Akaashi memorised everything Bokuto said, walking back over with the ball and held it in different locations above his head to try work out what exactly Bokuto wanted. The captain looked at Akaashi in confusion, tilting his head slightly to figure out what was going on.

"Akaashi what are you-"

"I'm just trying to figure out a rough idea for the type of set you would like; it helps to sometimes get a mental image."

"OhhhH Okay"

The two continued on for a bit, Bokuto huffed wondering why no one turned up checking his phone. Looking down at the floor again realising he forgot to tell everyone about morning practice as well as the practice match later so quickly text them all to let them know. He put his phone away going towards Akaashi to start again seeing he was putting a few things away.

"wait- huh? Akaashi?"

"yea?"

"why are you tidying?"

"it's nearly time for lessons Bokuto- San so I have to go. I will see you later."