Chapter 1- The prettiest setter

The summer holidays had ended meaning it was the start of a new school year. The old setter for Fukurodani quit after a brutal injury leaving him unable to play and that meant the team were getting new players and was on the big search for a new setter. There was a definite mix of emotions about this situation, some team members were joyous about new players whereas some felt it was wrong to replace their current setter despite the fact he left. However, they all had to admit It was convenient timing for the team since it meant they could train before the big competitions to get to nationals. Due to this team change, Bokuto had called, more like begged, the team to come down early and meet him.

The Captain, also known as Kōtarō Bokuto, charged into the gym; he quickly set up the net. He was now in his second year but was made captain early due to one- the current third years really had not much interest in the sport and were just playing because the school required them to be involved in enrichment activities and two- Bokuto showed true dedication to the game, always staying for the longest and having new ideas and tactics that could help them get to nationals. The team had filed in not long after Bokuto finished setting up. They all gathered around their captain being the first to talk, getting them loudly and energetically.

"HEY HEY HEYYYY"

He got a Mix of yawned-filled greetings. He beamed at the team before continuing to talk.

"Okay so since Haruto sadly got injured...... Was it a rib injury? Yea or it was a knee-. I just remember that he can't continue playing."

"Yes Bokuto, he fractured his rib during his Skiing holiday, and it wasn't going able to repair the same" Konoha met eyes with their captain as he explained, watching the smile drop from his face.

"Oh, that's horrible... the poor guy. I feel bad but I wanted-"

The owl-looking Captain turned his head at the sound of the doors to the gym being opened. The team compared him to a golden retriever a lot and it was times like this they were proved 100% correct. They watched as Bokuto bounded over to the new guy,  the rest of Fukurodani following suit but not as energetically. Bokuto's smile returned as he glanced at the boy in front of him up and down. He was shorter than Bokuto by about 3cm, his hair was neat yet somehow scruffy with dark black colouring but not a soul-sucking type of black... no Bokuto deemed it a Midnight colouring. This midnight black-haired boy stood awkwardly in silence waiting for a voice to break it knowing it was going to have to be his own, but he didn't want it to be. Bokuto's attention moved from his hair to his eyes... he could stare at them for days. Bokuto had connected the smaller boy in front of him, this new setter's eyes to a sapphire gem. Bokuto felt like he had fallen into one of those Disney princess tales where their Prince Charming comes and finds them. Konoha cleared his throat snapping Bokuto out of his daydream.

"Oh- huh? Oh, yea I'm Kōtarō Bokuto! I'm the captain of the team! Welcome!"

"Thank you, I'm Akaashi Keiji."

"Welcome Akaashi! You play setter, right?"

"Yea I do"

"Come on then! Let's go meet the team and then we can start a practice match! Wait Akaashiiii?"

"Yea sounds good and yea?"

"What year are you in?"

"I'm a first-year"

"Okay!" Bokuto bounced off to talk to some of the other team members, Akaashi set his stuff down being guided around by Konoha since the Wing-spiker could tell Akaashi wasn't put off by Bokuto's energy just wasn't used to it. But the team knew that would all change, they saw their captain had taken a liking to their new setter and he would stop at nothing to get his friendship. Maybe even more. The team could tell Bokuto had fallen in love at first sight yet knew he was going to be too oblivious to notice. The team knew they'd have to be the ones to open his eyes to this reality.

Akaashi had been introduced around while Bokuto sorted everyone into two teams, sneakily putting Akaashi on his team ensuring he could watch the boy play and be able to play alongside him. The team of the owls split into their assigned two teams and started a match. The game was slightly intense and Akaashi flinched a few times at first due to Bokuto's loud demeanour but after the first few times it happened, he got adjusted and was prepared for the optimistic yet obnoxious commentary.

The game had ended Bokuto's team had won. Kōtarō walked more, well it was more of a bounce towards Akaashi like a reunited lost puppy,

"You're amazing! Where did you learn to play like that?!"

"Oh, thank you, you're super talented yourself."

"Thank you! Thank you!" Bokuto's smile was almost blinding, Akaashi didn't fully smile back a small corner one.

"To answer your question, I used to play in middle school."

"Oh cool! What school did you play with? Cuz sometimes- I think- sometimes there's like pre-sign ups."

"I wasn't too sure how to join through the sign-ups and I wanted to ensure I was picking the best school for academic value as well."

"Oh okay! Fair that makes sense! Say Akaasshhii"

"Yes, Bokuto?"

"What's your timetable like? Cuz, I want to hang out I don't have many friends! It's not the saddest thing! But they all find me too much!" Bokuto's expression changed now looking like a hurt puppy, Akaashi couldn't resist it, he gave in. Little did he know this would be the start of one of the best friendships, one he'd take the forever part seriously. A friendship that would last till death.

"Why don't we exchange contacts and then I can send you, my timetable?"

Bokuto's eyes lit up in joy as he rapidly nodded his head, so much Akashi worried it would just fall off his neck. Once he had settled down, Akaashi having left his phone in his bag and turned it off not wanting to take up too much time either grabbed a pen and wrote his number with his name on the back of Bokuto's hand. He held it gently having to slightly fight Bokuto but managing to keep his still, finding it sweet how he shook in excitement. Little did Akaashi know this small thing would be treasured forever by the captain. He finished writing and let go of Bokuto's hand.

"I'll text you in a bit Aggasshhhiii! Thank you!"

"You're welcome Bokuto."