Gift Idea

Monastery of Spinjitzu
Ken's POV
After our little group finished with our breakfast, we decided to distribute the rest of the cinnamon rolls to our other company. Valt, Sunny, and Vanessa offered to take the bulk of the cinnamon rolls down to the endos, cleaning and security bots. It was Vanessa who'd suggested it - something about the bots being the only ones who didn't treat her weirdly. That left me, Chica, Roxy, and Bonnie to bring what was left to the other animatronics.

Roxy opted to not carry anything while the rest of us carried a plate of two beautifully glazed rolls each. Our group of four made our way down towards the courtyard while Valt pushed Vanessa's wheelchair towards the elevator and Sunny followed with a tin of sweets; all while Vanessa balanced two tins of her own on her lap.

I didn't mean to, but I found myself steeling my nerves as we walked through the corridor (not literally). The animatronics had been kind enough to help me in the Pizzaplex, but I had taken them from the only home they'd ever known - that was surely crossing a line. I swept a cautious look at the attending party. Chica, Roxy, and Bonnie had acted nonchalant about the whole thing, but they'd proven that they could hide somethings. And of course, they couldn't speak for the others.

Are they scared? Are they on edge? Are they angry?

If so, are they angry... with me?

I found myself taking deep breaths, filling my nose with the sweet scent of the cinnamon rolls. In through the nose, out through the mouth. In... out... in... out...

"Ken?" Came a concerned voice. A soothing weight settled on my shoulder, and I looked up to see Roxy staring down at me with worried amber eyes. "You doing okay?"

I gulped before I tried to play it off, "Yeah, just uh... a little light-headed."

Roxy's eyes narrowed. "Kid, you know I can scan your body for any disturbances," She reminded me in a low voice. "And whatever's going on with you, your head isn't the problem." She crossed her arms over her new hoodie. "What is it?"

By now, the rest of our breakfast brigade had stopped and were watching us curiously. I felt my cheeks warm up under their probing gazes and I averted my eyes. "I-it's nothing," I insisted. "Can't we just get to the others?"

"Yeah, that's a hard nope," Bonnie spoke up. I didn't look up to see him, but I could hear his footsteps as he backtracked my way.

"Come on, Kenny - what's up?" Chica asked gently.

I felt so stupid. Here I was, having a panic attack in the hall because I was afraid of what others would think of me. It was the first day of school all over again! Only instead of my parents and a few sympathetic teachers, I was being consoled by three animal-themed animatronics, and instead of brand new textbooks, I was holding a plate of glistening cinnamon rolls.

I felt so stupid. This was so stupid. "I-it's stupid!" I protested.

"We'll be the judges of that," Roxy told me, not unkindly.

Regardless, it was another minute before I felt comfortable enough to speak. "I-it's just... we've been through so much together... I practically flipped their entire worlds upside down. You guys act okay about it, but I don't really know..." I felt them shift on their feet, giving me all the answer I needed. "What if they see me and... they blame me?" I laughed quietly at my own cowardice. "Like I said, it's stupid."

The animatronics were quiet and I feared for a second that they were going to agree with me, that I was ridiculous. Then Chica spoke up softly, "That night was crazy, sure, and it's true that our lives will never be the same again." The comforting weight of her hand settled on my other shoulder. "But we don't blame you one bit, Kenny - none of us do! We know that none of this is your fault!"