Mama Night Comes to Visit! (Part 3)

No One's POV
"Alright!" Honcho exclaimed, wiping sweat off his brow with his forearm. "That's all the equiptment you need to read this thing, right, Pix?" He pressed both palms against his back and cracked it. "Because I don't think I can handle lifting another cube of metal."

"I don't know why you are complaining, Kiyama," Naoki reprimanded the blonde, not even breathing heavy. He stranded in a corner, inspecting his nails. "I didn't find the work nearly as strenuous."

"THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LIFT A SINGLE THING, SCIENCE BOY!!" Honcho told him, jutting an accusing finger in his direction. "YOU DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!!"

"Doing nothing during a project and simply overseeing it are two completely different things," Naoki explained calmly, fluffing the collar of his gi.

"Overseeing, shmoverseeing-" Honcho started to exclaim, but PIXAL cut him off before things got violent.

"YES, now we have all of our needed technologies, Honcho," She spoke over the loud blonde. "Thank you for helping me move everything." She dealt a meaningful look at Naoki, who flushed and shrunk away from her gaze.

They had gotten a brigade of monitors, wires, and computer screens from various locations around the basement. PIXAL had set up the wires in a nest around the bottom of the portal, which had grown an alarming three inches since they had first noticed it. The wires would read the energy from the portal, send the readings along their length to be processed by the monitors, then send them to the screens to be viewed by those in attendance.

The whole time they were dragging things back and forth between rooms, Free didn't even stir from his nap on board the water-roaming vehicle.

"Alright; this is our best chance of getting a basic knowledge of these portals," PIXAL declared. "Let's turn it on and see what we get." Her white fingers moved towards the keys of the computer nearest to her.

"PIXAL!! WHERE ARE YOU?!"

The sound of Jin yelling for her nearly made PIXAL jump out of her exoskeleton. "I-in here!" She yelled back, wondering exactly what had happened in the courtyard to make the Ghost Boy come looking for her.

Jin burst into the laboratory like a gust of his element, sparing Naoki and Honcho a glance before focusing on PIXAL. "I showed Night all of the areas where she won't freak out, but now she's refusing to leave until she asks you a few questions! Do you mind coming back up and-" He finally caught sight of the glowing blue dot and did a double take. "Hold up; what is THAT?"

PIXAL stared at the dot grimly. "Well, you do remember how the-"

"APPARENTLY THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF PORTALS - THAT'S THE OTHER KIND AND APPARENTLY IT FORMS NATURALLY - BOTTOM LINE, IT'S DANGEROUS AND WE NEED TO FIND A WAY TO SHUT IT BEFORE IT FULLY OPENS!!" Honcho butted in. Jin's eyes widened at his explanation.

"Seriously?" PIXAL told him, one platinum eyebrow raised while her mouth was in a disapproving frown.

"What?" Honcho cried, throwing his hands up. "Your explanation lasted five minutes - I summed up the entire situation in three sentences! You're welcome!"

Jin groaned anxiously, running his hands through his black mane. "This literally could not get any worse," He moaned, moving his hands to drag his fingers down his face. Groaning again, softly this time, he fixed the others with a desperate look. "I don't really care how this thing got here or what you have to do to get rid of it, just DON'T LET NIGHT FIND OUT ABOUT IT," He begged them. "If she does, she'll never let me out of her sight again!"

PIXAL moved forward to take his pale hands in her white ones. "Don't worry, Jin, as long as we keep an eye on the portal and read its energies correctly, we should be able to stop it in its tracks."