I will remember it for all my life

They had a interview for the Dutch broadcaster Ziggo.
Max was held out of the spotlight by Redbull so he could fully focus on his first "real" home race and so he could hopefully deliver the most desired result.
Ofcourse Max wasn't complaining about that, not needing to do the extra media this week and that it was even issued by Redbull self was even better. But ofcourse the interviews for him and Carlos went on.

Though he didn't particularly mind Olav for his interview. Max had talked about him some times and he had seen him around in the paddock. Turns out he already did the driving commentary of f1 since 1991.

They had been talking of all kinds of things when Olav suddenly turned the questions towards him.
"Charles I have a question, is it true that as a young karter , in the old days, you took out Max , in a karting race after the chequered flag? He asked raising his voice a little at the last bit. Already chuckling about the idea and curious about the monegasque's answer.
Charles tried to keep his face straight though he can't stop smiling, in hindsight that moment was such a fond memory, while he also hears Carlos ask "after the chequered flag?"

By now he decided that it was no use to school his face in something natural, also it was such a funny story in hindsight.it wouldn't hurt if he told them and indirectly the world about it.
He looked down laughing before he looked at the interviewer again putting up hiss hand "ah wait" he said though he heard the grey haired dutchman already laughing. "Or did he take you out?"
Trying to stay serious he started "he was leading, it was in the rain, he was leading and he was closing a lot" "we were, both of us where far in front" he stated proudly. "And I had to find a way to pass him. So I pushed him a little bit wide, okay." 

Carlos interrupted him. "Who was faster?" Nodding "I was faster, on this particular race I was faster" as it always had been the battle between them two.
"So I pushed him a little bit wide, overtook him, next corner, he destroyed me, completely " gesturing wildly with his hands. His nose fondly scrunching up. As the interviewer already started laughing again.
"I went from second with a five seconds lead to p7 or what so ever but I came back second" as he starts to laugh more. "And at the end of the race , after the chequered flag , I remember, I would remember it shut all my life" "uhm and it's uhm, it's a double right hander"
"Where?" Carlos asks in between again. "Val d'argenton"
"Nope"
"And I go on his right, and I look at him and he goes like this" gesturing the hand movement Max did back then. "Alright? Like what the hell did you do? And he was watching me, we touched a little bit and he took the white line that was wet and went straight"
"And there was a huge puddle... a puddle?" Unsure of his own English he asked as Carlos and Olav hum in confirmation. "Yeah a puddle" Olav ads.
"A puddle, that was probably this high or something" he tries to show the size he couldn't help but chuckle as he remembered the view of the dutchman wet to his waist in the water. Who would have imagined that 9 years later those two teenagers would have ended up together.
"And he ended up in this puddle that was like, like he was really wet, probably the water was arriving at his hips or something , so he yeah" he smiled.

Joking Olav says "so the short version is: yes I did"
"Yeah" as Olav starts laughing again.
"Haha thank you"
"Probably deserved? Carlos ask already imagining what Charles and Max would have been like back then. "Yeah, but we both get.. got disqualified he because he destroyed me and me for pushing him in the puddle"
"So you both deserved it" Carlos chuckled as he can only confirm. Hindsight is a great thing. He wouldn't have admitted that back then. Back then Max was the only one to blame on Charles's eyes.

They answer a couple more questions before they wrap it up, walking back to Ferrari hospitality Carlos comments "you could retell that from second to second" he says chuckling as he walks in to his drivers room leaving Charles standing alone "yes I do" not seeing the smile and faint blush creeping on to his cheeks as he once again thinks about the fond memory and about his boyfriend. God he was so gone for him.

——-

Max is already laying on the sofa of his hotel room as the monegasque finally enters, as Charles leans down to kiss him Max smirks against his lips "you had fun today?"
"Yeah it was good, the Dutch know how to make a party already on the Friday" he smiles as he pecks his boyfriend's lips once more.
"The orange army is the best" Max teases already knowing where this discussion is heading. "No one beats the passion of the tifosi" he states simply.
"Agree to disagree!" Max chuckles again.
"But you had fun talking about us?" He says as he leans against the monegasque who now went to sit down on the sofa too.
"You saw?" He chuckles slightly.
"Yeah of course, in Holland I get to watch dutch tv. Also I didn't have to do all the media so I had time to watch you on this big tv" he smirks pointing at the big tv on their hotel wall.

After that they watch tv for a while before they decide to head to bed early as tomorrow is qualifying.
Charles doses of easily as they are laying there but Max couldn't easily find his sleep. Though he wouldn't admit it to the outside world he was nervous. There was this insane pressure of winning here, not only from his fans but also for himself in the championship. The last couple of races had been costly and he really wanted to score some good points to stay in the race as there would be tracks coming that didn't particularly suit his car and favoured the Mercedes's more.

As he turned in the sheets for like the thousandth time this hour Charles noticed the unease in his boyfriend, waking up from his own peaceful slumber, throwing his arm over his boyfriend mumbling against his bare shoulder "you okay Cherie?" His voice still ridden with sleep.
"Nervous" Max just says as he doesn't want to wake his boyfriend up though all of that is enough for Charles to open his eyes, popping himself up so he can look at the dutchman.
"You will be okay, you can do this!" He says as he rest his hand against his cheek. "You already withstand so much this year, this one is nothing compared" he tries reassuring him a slight but proud smile on his lips.

"But what if I don't win this race?" Max asks now turning on his side staring at the monegasque.
"Then you won't and it would still be okay as you still can win something else or next years. Besides your fans love you anyway" he says as he leans down to kiss him. After only leaning back a little as he stares in to his eyes. "Though you don't need to worry, cause I know you are going to win" he smiles before closing the distance once more in a slow and soft kiss. "You will do it Cherie, I believe in you"

Max sighed deeply as he wraps both his arms against the monegasque. "Thank you, I really needed that" he breathes in to the brown mop of hair.

The next day goes to drive the fastest laps in qualifying and putting his car on pole for Sunday, Charles scoring a decent fifth position given the state of this years car.
The couple stays in the night again, once more just resting up together.

Eventually on Sunday we Max goes on to win his first home race, leading the entire time as only Valterri momentarily took over after his pitstop.
In his cooling down lap after the contact with his team on the radio he smiles in to his helmet
"Thanks babe, you where right" he whispers though Charles obviously couldn't hear it.
Max really couldn't praise himself more lucky. The support he feels from his fans, his family and mostly from Charles. Either wich way this is going to go he would end up happy either way.