Your silence is deafening

⚠️Trigger warnings are at the end of this chapter , may you want to know before⚠️

###############################

Charles was wheeled towards the room, he had changed from a hospital gown in to a pair of cosy sweats hoping to find some comfort in the warm and soft fabric.

"You want me to stay?" His mother asked he only politely shook his head towards her. "No, I need to do this alone" he told her trying to keep his voice steady though he couldn't fool his mum.
"Are you sure honey?" She asked him as she wasn't convinced but he just nodded in response.

She wheeled him in the room a little and whispered a silent "okay" a kiss on his cheek, a squeeze on his shoulder before she closed the door.

From his lap down he started to look up and taking in the room, because he was seated in the wheelchair he couldn't see him yet. Only the end of the bed. The rest of the room looked awfully familiar to the one he had just come from. Walls still sterile and cold. Though the room had more screens and equipment standing to the side.

He took a deep sigh in a idle hope to ready himself , though he doubted that he would ever be ready for this. How could he be? Nothing about this was right! He wheeled himself forward,a tight grip on the wheels of his chair. The feeling of the cold metal sending shivers down his spine as he touched them with his clamp hands.

There he lay, almost peaceful. Not a bruise to him, the only give away of him being involved in their crash was the bandage on his arm. The cut that was bleeding on the side of the road as he now remembered. If he only knew that little cut or the limb in his step what was apparently a sprained ankle was the least of their worries. He looked so pale, the normally rosy cheeks had left his face. Only a almost white shell of Max, his boyfriend, the love of his life remained.

He lay still, not a muscle that was moved, nothing compared to their usually fast pace life. The silence was deafening. Only the sounds of the beeping of the Monitors and the ventilator that helped him breathe.

There were tubes coming from his arms, and head. The biggest one hooked to the ventilator. The machine realising the only movement in the Dutchman's body as his chest steadily rose up and fell again. It was like he was here, but at the same time he wasn't.

He was laying there his hair, probably brushed to one side by the well meaning nurses, though it just wasn't Max. So Charles wheeled forward a bit more as he brushed his hand through the Dutchman's hair. Placing it like he knew Max would like. The soft sensation of the blonde locks on his fingers tricking something inside of him. As he always loved to lace his fingers through it. A natural and intimate way of closeness and affection. "I'm here babe, je t'aime tellement" he sighed.

As he leaned back again and took in the sight in front him a sob escaped him. Why had this happend? What in the world did they do to deserve this? Hadn't they had enough this year? why was it all so cruel? Not even 24 hours ago Max appeared to be fine just a little cut and a sprained ankle. It could have been so much worse and unfortunately for them it was.

Apparently when they arrived in the hospital Charles was taken for examination and scans first as he seemed more severely injured . Where luckily for them nothing serious was seen. Though the hospital liked to keep him for further observation. When they were waiting for Max to be checked out, he had told Charles he'd go to the nurses station for some aspirin for his headache. But he never even got there as he had collapsed and had a seizure in the hallway.

Charles apparently was awake through all that but because of the concussion and the stress and also the medication they gave him resulted in him not remembering this morning though the bits and pieces made it back in to his memory now.

————
24 hours earlier

"What the fuck does that stupid ass want?" Max wondered aloud angrily as he got fairly annoyed by the van that was driving near them. The driver going from driving behind them, to beside them, to the front and back again. As he pulled the cap he was wearing further down his face.

As the driver pulled up next to them again he realised the one in the passenger seat was holding a camera. "Fuck it's paparazzi!" He cursed.

"Okay let's act calmly" Charles sighed though he didn't like their situation one bit. "Also leave your cap on, it's harder to recognise us like this"  he added. Honestly you had to know it was them, otherwise you would hardly recognise them, they had thought of that when they went out today. Both clad in caps and sunglasses. Not perse the outfits they would usually wear,so they just kept on driving.
Max had to keep himself from going crazy as he dug his fingers in the flesh of his leg. "Fucking assholes"

Apparently the paparazzi had also realised they couldn't get a recognisable picture so than they pulled up dangerously close to the couples rental car. Apparently to close as the van clipped the tyre of the rental. Their car was launched over a branch at the side of the road. Coming to a abrupt halt nearby the closest tree. The sound of bending metal was frightful. Before a big hit and everything went black.

Apparently the monegasque had hit his head against the airbag during the crash so he was knocked out for a short while. As he opened his eyes and looked around him the dutchman was nowhere to be seen.

"Max?" He had asked as panic settles in his stomach though he relaxed as he soon came in to his vision standing in front of the window shield of the car. He must have climbed out already when he was unconscious right?!

—————
Present

Max was expected to been yeeted out of the car as the seatbelt of their rental broke during the crash.
Being thrown out of the passenger side window with force, landing on the concrete a couple of meters away. Apparently he had functioned on adrenaline and as it all came down again the bleeding in his brain took over.

"Inter cranial haemorrhage due to trauma against his head" the doctor had explained. You can function for a while depending on how bad the bleeding is until the pressure gets to high and your body starts to disfunction. He had a seizure and there was coming blood from out his nose and ears.

As the ER doctors and nurses got him up for a CT it was apparently clear as day, a white spot lighting up the supposed usual black and grey mass.
They had to drill a hole in his head to relieve the pressure. A drain still placed on his head to lose the excess fluid. He was kept asleep as it would give his body and brain the time and space to rest and heal. And then he had a very good chance of recovery.

It was unfortunate that he heard that all before, it was not even 6 years ago he wouldn't be fooled, though he hoped this time they were right and his Max would come back to him.

He took Max's hand and wrapped his two around it placing a kiss on it as he looked up his eyes watery as a tear escaped him and rolled down his cheek.
"Please come back to me Max...p-please don-don't leave!"

################################
⚠️trigger warning ⚠️
-mentioning of a crash
-blood
-cursing
-seizures
-mentioning of past passing
-ventilator