The first race

After his total breakdown in His physio's arms yesterday, Max had barely slept again, though this time in his own bed. Honestly he felt exhausted. He had flown together with Brad to Austria, his performance coach not leaving his side if not necessary.

The Britton had been shocked about how Max's state was. The boy was devastated. He had know about his relationship with Charles for a couple of weeks officially now. But he didn't know they had already been together for so long. Max had told him most of this during their flight. Feeling like that was the least he could do after ruining his trainers shirt with his tears. Though Brad obviously told him it didn't matter.

It helped Max that he had someone to talk to. For now his tears had stopped. Only the feeling of numbness had remained. And the lingering feeling of dread because it was inevitable they had to see each other again this weekend.

He had managed to dodge him quite easily on Wednesday, it not being an official race weekend day, though most teams already starting their work on trackside.

Thursday was mostly fine, he saw him only from across the media penn, talking to some reporter about his expectations for the weekend. Obviously telling them he didn't expect much giving the state of their red car.

On Friday they only 'met' on track driving past each other as Max tried his hardest to keep himself focused on the road in front of him.

Though Saturday was another story. Today was Fp3 and qualifying. The former couple were both walking through the paddock after they finished the last training session.

Max was walking with Lando and both their performance coaches. Lando was babbling on about a new game he had found and was now playing non stop. Max tried to mingle in the conversation about the game when he saw a flash of red approaching their direction. Max was rooted in his tracks as he heard Lando talking on about the game from a distance.

'Max?' He had asked before he noticed his friend was not walking next to him anymore. As he didn't get a response he turned around 'Max?' His face now filled with concern. 'Max? Are you okay?' Max quickly shook his head as of get rid of his thoughts. 'Yeah sorry mate, just was thinking about something with the car' he plastered on a smile. 'Yeah right and I'm the king of Belgium' the Britton joked halfhearted.

Max waved him off and started walking again only for Lando to catch up again and grab his arm. Knowing his friend long enough that it was not anything about the car.
'Max, do you want me to get Charles for you?' He whispered trying to help his friend. Max didn't reply and just kept walking. Trying again he asked: 'should I get Charles?' Max turned around angry. 'NO LANDO!, CAN'T YOU TAKE A HINT?!' he hissed at his friend who's was looking at him shocked with wide eyes.

Max raising his voice had also raised the attention of the people walking around them, those people including Charles. Lando looked over Max shoulder and only noticed now how little the monegasque looked, dark circles under his eyes, before he looked at Max again who practically looked the same. His mouth only forming an 'o' as the realisation hit him.

He was quick to wave the people in the paddock away 'nothing to see here people, I just was annoying him about he can't beat me at call of duty!' He played on a toothy smile. The people around them seemed to buy his story as they kept walking.

'I'm, sorry mate I didn't know...' Lando whispered underneath his breath. 'B-but, what happened?'
'I'm sorry too mate, I shouldn't go off on you like that' the dutchman apologised. 'We will talk tonight at the hotel okay?' He proposed. 'Yeah sure mate' he smiled compassionate as he patted his friend back as they made their way through the paddock.

The rest of the day went by fast. Qualifying was okay. P3 wasn't bad though they still were behind Mercedes. Though he would start second as Hamilton got a penalty. P7 for Charles, so he was right the Ferrari really wasn't were it once used to be. But he couldn't bring himself to care about that for now.

In the evening Lando came to his hotel room and he told him the whole story of what had happened a couple days prior. 'I just don't understand Lan? Did I miss something?' Lando tried to comfort his childhood friend and colleague. 'No mate, if you did then he got us all fooled!' He had replied as he gave his friend a hug.

The friends had fallen  asleep during a movie they were watching on Max's bed. Max would lie if he said he hadn't slept. The company and comfort of his friend bringing at least a little bit of peace to him to be able to fall asleep. That in combination of the exhaustion of the last days helped.

With his new found rest Max was now seated in his car. Determined to not let the situation get to his racing.

As the lights went on and off Max was in his element, to be racing again.

For 10 laps he was doing what he knew to do best, a race that should have been an easy podium. But luck was just on his side (not) as his car started to slow down, electrical failure would be the verdict later on. He kept it professional to the press 'what can you do?' His common answer. The many retirements this race a small consolation price. Also Charles ending p2, though the state of his car. Obviously he had capitalised on the retirements, but he was still in front of his team mate.

Max was just walking out of the press pen with his press officer Vicky as the podium finisher's walked in. Because of covid their was a line, so there was a moment they couldn't walk further. Both boys made eye contact for a second. 'Maxy did you see?' Charles whispered before he remembered he couldn't after what he had done and averted his eyes to the ground as he tugged on his racing suit. 'No Charles, you can't do this!' Max said as he tried to keep it together not looking up again. Both standing in awkward silence until they could walk on.  Max his hands bawled in to fist's.

As soon as Max entered his motor home he slammed the door shut, his father who was scrolling on his phone didn't expect his son to come in so violently that he dropped his phone in shock.

'Jesus Max wat is er in gods naam met jou aan de hand? (Jesus Max, for fucks sake what is going on with you?) his father slightly agitated, not knowing where his sons behaviour was coming from. Even though he wasn't happy about it, mechanical failures do happen.

'NOTHING' Max said angrily as he threw his water bottle against the wall.
'What the hell Max?' His father now raised his voice.
'Don't you dare raise your voice to me!' Max warned him. Jos opened his mouth to reply but closed it as Max start speaking again.
'I SAID DON'T, NOT NOW!' His father only looked at him questioning.
'DON'T PRETEND LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW!' He almost screamed.

'This is all so convenient for you!'
'What is Max? What are you on about?'his father asked?
'DON'T PLAY DUMB DAD!? I let you back in to my life, in our life and not 6 months later he leaves me!' I GUESS WELL DONE DAD YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANTED!'