Underneath these sparkling city lights

Max was looking out over the city beneath him, one hand in his pocket and the other holding the bar of the rooftop terrace of the hotel. A private area connected to Sebastian's mega hotel room.
Thinking over what just happend. As he had walked up to Charles he had felt so confident but as soon as he started talking that all had disappeared and he opted out. Changing his story to that he was sorry and didn't want to fight.

He really didn't want to fight, these last two months... fighting... had sucked and also sucked all the life out of him. Only functioning on autopilot.

Tonight he felt like it showed and he saw a spark of the old them. That they matched, like a well oiled machine. Having the same thoughts, the same views and even both as hella competitive as ever before. Like they were cut from the same piece of wood. He felt that spark when they locked eyes, Charles must have felt the same right? Right?!

He was staring in to the night sky as he felt a soft hand on his shoulder 'Max?' Spoken in a soft tone.
As he turned around he saw Charles standing in front of him.
'Charles' he said breathlessly.

For a minute they were just standing there, the air between them to thick to speak, they both couldn't move a muscle. Until Charles inhaled deeply.

He averted his eyes towards his shoes. 'Look Max, I also don't want to fight...' another deep breath. 'And I shouldn't have said you never really knew me at all, cause that's not true' he now slowly lifted his head and eyes looking at the dutchman in front of him. 'I-I ' he stammered. 'I uhm I just needed you to leave it , cause , cause I needed to be alone, and knowing you, you wouldn't have left otherwise, cause your sweet... and caring... and so kind' his eyes now started to gloss over with saline in his eyes.
'But you do know me, you've always known me te best' he finally breathed out.

'But Ch-Charlie, then why can't you just tell me why?' He pleaded in his hope for answers on the whole situation.
'I-I just can't Max...' he said as he looked down again.

Max took a step forward at that and started lightly tracing the monegasque's hand with his finger tips.
'I just can't believe you don't feel this to?' He said breathless.

Charles visibly swallowed away a lump in his throat, Max was so close to him now he saw his Adam's Apple woble while doing so. It's been a while that they were this close. The proximity all to familiar but all so strange....

Max could smell the faint notes of the smell of beer on Charles's breath as the warm air ghosted over the skin on his face.

Max couldn't help but reach out his hands to the monegasque. Tracing his fingertips over the back of the younger man's hands until he wrapped his own around it. Inching closer as their foreheads were now rested together. Both of their eyes closed, engulfed by the familiarity of the other.

'Charles...' Max said underneath his breath, the warm air out of his mouth tickling Charles's lips. 'Max I-' he breathed out as he turned his head a little away from the dutchman. But never far enough to really break the contact between them. As he craved for him though he couldn't. Their hands and foreheads still connected. As he tried to speak again. 'Maxy, I-'

But he was cut off by the dutchman as he pleaded desperately 'Charlie plea-' before their lips connected, if it was Charles who couldn't stay away from the man he loved, as for a second Mateo and his actions weren't occupying his mind, having the dutchman close, was the first to initiate or Max who just longed for the Man he missed, the man hè loved.

The touch of their lips was soft, like if they would apply more pressure it would burn and break. They just stood there for a moment, breathing the other in before their hand found a way to hold the other closer and hold each other tighter.

The kiss turned needy, the kiss got desperate as the pulled each other closer, maybe even impossibly close.

It was a dangerous thing, they weren't out, not even to some of the drivers that were here back in the room behind them tonight, hell they weren't even together. But in this moment it was all forgotten, they craved for the other like a bare life necessity.

Hands found their way on the way up, holding the others face so so close. Lips slightly parted, merging in to one. As the taste of saline stained their kiss. Both overcome with emotions, it all pouring out of their eyes.

The salty taste making his way through his thoughts, claiming back Charles senses. Mateo's words ringing right at the back of his mind.

He backed away slightly though he still had a tight desperate grip on the Dutchman's collar of his shirt. Heads still touching.
'M-Max, p-please S-stop' he said with teary eyes.
'Please Charles d-don't do this... why?' He hiccups.
'I'm really sorry, I really am... b-but we can't' tears now rolling over his cheeks again.
'Please just-just Max... it's for your own good... pl-ease this never was supposed to happen... I- I just need—- you , I need you to be safe' he hiccups through he words.
'Charlie? What do you mean safe—' but he was cought off as The monegasque already disappeared through the balcony door.

Max was there, standing alone, trying to piece the puzzle together as confusion clouded his mind? Charles still loved him, but he couldn't, what did that even mean?

He sighed, trying calming his emotions before he made his way back inside.