It never stopped raining

Summer break ended, after a well spend holiday together but also some time away with just their family. One week they stayed apart, Max at the Caribbean with his family and Charles with his in Mykonos. That they didn't get their family vacation planned together was probably for the best this year as apparently half of the grid decided to go to Mykonos. It would have been hard to explain why Max was with Charles's family to Nicolas and George. Except for telling the truth.

After the week apart, that was filled with FaceTime calls from front to end. Their family's jokingly calling them out for it. They met up back in Monaco. They would go on to fill their days together and with friends as the principality offers a bit more privacy. Most days were spend on the water because the weather was so beautiful, leaving them sun kissed in the end.

The first weekend after the break was Spa and the the beautiful weather of the last weeks had made a drastic turn temperature wise in Belgium. Now on. Wednesday it was mostly wet.
The couple was already in Belgium as they stayed at Sophie's from Monday on, they would leave for spa the first thing in the morning as it was a relatively short drive.

They were lounging on Sophie's massive Grey couch, Charles had his legs draped over Max's as they were scrolling on their phones, reading their work related messages for the weekend as Sophie was out for the shops.
Suddenly Charles started to smile. "Babe have you seen this" he asked his boyfriend excitedly.
"Mhh what?" Max looked up obviously curious about what the monegasque had seen.
"We have Thursday press conference together" he smiled eagerly as Max snorted. "Since when do we get excited over media duties?" He asked as he pushed Charles's legs off his own who in return climbed over his lap and straddled his hips. Asking with a wink (what he still could not properly do)
"Don't I make those a little bit better?" Smirking down at the dutchman underneath him. "Oh lief, you make everything better" he said as he pulled the monegasque closer "especially with your lips on mine" as he pulled their lips together.

Charles was quick to wrap his arms around his neck, deepening the kiss which fastly turned more heated as their tongue's battled for dominance as they sunk further down in to the couch.
Only when they needed to catch their breath and rested their heads together they realised that they were still in the living room, their cheeks tinting a dark shade of pink. "Maybe we should go upstairs" Charles mumbled against his boyfriend's lips. "Yeah, yeah we probably should" Max said connecting their lips once more.

Before they could part again they heard the closing of the front door . "Max, Charles I'm back" she shouted as the couple quickly broke apart saying "fuck" in unison. As Charles was quick to fold his legs and Max placed a pillow on his lap, both trying to hide the obvious. As they heard Sophie approach through the hallway. "I think you boys will like this meal, I used to cook this a lot when the kids were younger and Ma-" as she entered the living room looking at both boys on the couch. Their hair disheveled, faces flush and lips red and puffy, though she decided not to mention it. "Max really loved to eat that"She finished her sentence.
"So any news for the race weekend?" She asked trying to break the tension.

"Yeah we have press Thursday together!" Max said quickly. "Oh that's exciting, at least one reason for you to like media day" she winked as she walked towards the kitchen. Missing the change in colour of her son's cheeks "Tea in ten?" She asked from the hallway "yes please!" They both said.

The couple both stared at each other as they snorted "well that was awkward" they both laughed as Charles shoved Max's arm playfully. "We could've really scared your mother's eyes"
Meanwhile Sophie sighed in the kitchen "boys will be boys" rolling her eyes just happy her son and boyfriend were so in love.

Thursday rolled around incredibly fast what meant the break was really done. The couple was seated in the press room 2 meters apart as they waited for the conference to start.

The interviewer soon started his questioning.
"Charles, Max , fresh and ready to go after the break?" they both smiled behind their masks, they definitely did enjoy their holidays but the press didn't need to know how. So they politely answered their questions, story's about their holidays, just not mentioning the other.

Questions about the last race before summer break in Hungary that did not went particularly well for both of them as they both had become a victim of Bottas's and stroll's car bowling activities.
The race ending in a dnf for Charles and Max only finishing tenth to no fault of their own but loosing up on a lot of points in the championship standings again.

They talked about their expectations and the coming weekends and what they thought about the Japanese grand prix being cancelled before it was time for the fan questions

A young girl came in to view as she asked if it's true that playing the piano actually helps with driving a f1 car. The couple looks at each other as they both have enough story's about the beautiful white piano in there house though they won't share them here. Though they can't help but smile behind their masks as their eyes convey it all.
But the interviewer interups them as he is pretty sure Max doesn't play the piano so asks the question at Charles first.
Obviously Charles tells it's for him one of the best things to disconnect from racing, music in general. But that it does help him with his hand coordination as you have to do different rhythms with your hands. Then the interviewer asks Max what he does to disconnect "I don't have any musical talent so I'd probably shut it out the window in frustration" he says and Charles can't help but inwardly chuckle. His boyfriend is indeed not very musically gifted. He had tried to teach him some piano during lockdown but he only ended up frustrated as he couldn't do it. To listen to music was more something for the dutchman.
"I do a lot of sim racing, Lind distance and endurance, that's what I do to disconnect and what also helps me in f1" he finishes as he doesn't tell listening to Charles's musical abilities helps him too.

As they walk out of the press room Charles snorts "really Max, you shunt it out of the window?" Laughing at his boyfriend's bluntness, so typical.
"Yeah well you know how much I suck" he says as he laughed with him though he immediately regretted his choice of words as he hears his Charles snickering "oh, I know you do". Added with a terrible wink.
"Oh god" pinching the bridge of his nose before saying goodbye when they were at their team hospitality's.

The rest of the weekend was quite eventful, the weather was absolutely terrible, on Saturday Lando has an absolutely terrifying qualifying crash. Ending up in the wall of Eau rouge.
Luckily the cameras fastly pend to seb checking up on him, putting up his thumb and moving in the car. Though they couldn't really understand why they kept going, the FIA really made some questionable choices lately.

Sunday was even more a farce on its self, it was raining like crazy, like it would never stop. The grid went on track a couple of times to see if they could start. Max hadn't had to much spray in front of him as he was the first car behind the safety car, though how further back you got on the grid it became worse and worse. Eventually there was decided to not start the race, but because they did enough rounds behind the safety car, half points were given. Even a podium ceremony was held.

Late in the evening, hours after the race the couple sat in the car to drive to the Netherlands, the first Dutch Grand Prix was next week. So they would stay with Victoria for a couple of days, in between flying back to Maranello en Milton Keynes. So when that night they cuddled close in Victoria's guest room Max whispered "I can't believe the best part of this raceweekend was our press conference, in a million years I never would have thought I would say that" as he chuckled softly , before they kissed and fell a sleep. A bit of rest before another stressful week would have begun.