Conversations and revelations

Pierre had picked up Martijn at the airport as he had arrived, making sure they had time to talk before Martijn would meet up with Max. Telling him the whole story and the plan that he and Seb made to get them at least together in a room again.

'He, Charles, th-they are being blackmailed...' Martijn was shocked, how could a person be so fisious, so vile. All of a sudden all his hate for the monegasque was gone. Though he worried what might happen if they got back together again, what would that stalker do?
He hoped they made the right decision and they didn't destroy them even more.

Martijn arrived half an hour before Max at the hotel so the Dutch driver wouldn't have known he came with Pierre. He had unpacked his stuff and went to the Dutch driver's hotel room.

As Max opened the door he smiled . 'Hey mate!' As he was let in to the room they exchanged a hug. 'Hey, I'm so happy to see you mate!' Max had replied cheerfully as he hugged the dj back. As they went to sit in the room and just talked. Afterwards they also ate dinner in Max's room as they ordered room service.

Around 7 p.m. Max got a text in the drivers groupchat. He looked at it And sighed before he locked his phone again and put it in his pocket. Martijn was eying him suspiciously. 'What's that mate?' He asked.
'Ooh it's nothing, it's the drivers app asking for us to hang out tonight'

Unbeknownst to Max , Martijn had known about the meet up as it was part of the plan to get the former couple in one room together so he was keen on getting Max to actually go.
'Sounds like fun, you don't wanna go?' Martijn tried.
'Nah, not really besides you are visiting so I'm not leaving you to hang out alone' Max replied.

'You don't need to babysit me Max' he said as he stook out his tongue at the Dutch driver and gave him a playful shove.
'Well in that case' Max chirped back at him shoving him back. 'But no seriously I'm happy hanging out with you!' He followed up sincerely.

'If they allow me, I could also come along?' The Dutch dj then proposed.
'Is my company not enough for you?' Max smirked as he acted fake hurt, a hand on his heart.
'No you're more than enough Maxy' Martijn cooed at him. 'But I think a night of fun with friends would do you good!' He said as hè laid his hand on Max's knee.

Max than looked up at him and sighed. 'I don't know.... What if 'he' is there? I'm not sure if I'm ready for that' he explained.
'I get that... but I won't leave your side I promise! And if he bothers you I'll kick his sorry French speaking ass!' as he pretended to still be mad Charles even though he wasn't now that he knew the story. But he hoped that it would convince Max.

'Okay, but if it sucks then we leave okay? And you'll come along?!' Max finally gave in.
'I promise Max!' Martijn smiled as he put his fingers up like a scouts honor.

In the meantime Charles just entered the hotel lobby as he had just came back from the track after a long and exhausting meeting with the team and after that a long conversation with Pierre and Sebastian who tried hard to convince him to come to a drivers hang out tonight, telling him that he could use a bit of fun. Because they were so persistent he ultimately gave in. But right know he just wanted a warm shower.

As he made his way towards the elevator he heard a familiar voice call out for him but he wasn't sure what to expect if it was this person.
'Charles, Charles wait!' As he turned around it was confirmed. Calling out for him was his ex father in law, Jos Verstappen. Charles just looked at him with wide eyes. Not knowing what to say or what to expect. A little afraid how angry the man would be at him.

As Jos reached him he looked at him before he spoke up again. 'Can we talk Charles?' The dutchman asked calmly.
Charles nodded still afraid to talk as he was afraid of his reaction.
'We can talk at the back of the restaurant if you want?' Jos proposed as he noticed that the Monegasque seemed scared. Though it made him sad that the monegasque still thought He would hurt him, he understood his fear because of the past so he just tried to comfort him.hoping that the public place would calm and convince him enough.
As Charles agreed they quickly and discreetly made their way to te back of the restaurant away from prying eyes and ears.

As they went to sit down Charles looked down and picked at his fingers. 'Wh-where did you wanna talk about?' He asked unsure.
'Well first I wanted to give you this' Jos answered as he gave Charles a little red racing car. 'Its a peace offering' he explained. 'Look, I'm really sorry about that one night when I found out about you and Max, I'm sorry about a lot of things Charles! But most of all I'm sorry if I'm the cause of problems between you to?!' He looked at him. As this made The monegasque look up as well.

'Th-thank you for saying that' Charles said as he calmed down a little as of what direction this conversation was taking and Jos's calm tone towards him.
'Don't let me be the reason that it doesn't work out between you two' the dutchman replied with sad eyes.

'Look Jos, I- I really appreciate this, but you are not the reason we broke up, we just had problems that were bigger than us' he tried to explain while keeping it vague. As he sighed 'to big for us, that's for sure'

'Look Charles, I know I'm not the best person to give advice on relationships, but after the many I've had...' he tried to joke as he pulled a funny face to get his point across, what earned him a chuckle from the monegasque.

'Well what I've learned is, their always will be problems... big or small.. what matters is, is how hard you willing to work at it, and the energy you put in to one and other, share things, and work together to make it work' he said with a little pause as he went to sit up a little straighter.

'And I've never seen Max put so much energy in anything before, not even racing!... he even stood up to me, for the first time ever really like that in his life.  He- he really loves you.' He said as he layed his hand on Charles's to get him to look up. 'And I honestly still believe you love him like that too Charles...' he stared in his eyes before he went to stand up.

'Anyway, I just wanted you to know all of that' the dutchman said before he walked away, only to turn around again. 'By the way make sure to take care of that race car, it was Michael's, Max told me how big of a fan you used to be!' He smiled at him.

Perplexed Charles stammered 'Jos, I can't take this!' He said as he looked between Jos and the little red race car in his hand.
'Yes you can, cause even if it doesn't work out between you to I had to apologise for what I did to you' he smiled as he finally walked off.

Leaving a perplexed monegasque conflicted by his own thoughts.