And I won't waste a minute without you

A white haze was surrounding him, his head didn't pound , it didn't hurt , but it felt hazy. Like he was wrapped in cotton wool. He felt warm, like he was hold in to a warm embrace. He tried chasing it until it slipped away from him again and every was back to the dark. Only the sound of quite mussing around him remains.

———

There it was again, he felt the warmth. Though he wasn't wrapped in it he felt it, he felt it near. As his surroundings turned in to a brighter shade of white around him. He still felt cloudy but he could make out some voice around him. It sounded soft...though broken. The sound was familiar and safe, he felt at home.

It came more and more clear, the voice speaking different languages that weren't his. A accent laced the words. Though unfamiliar he knew. And suddenly he recognised the words. 

"In Abu Dhabi off all places" he heard a soft chuckle "I really freaked out when you did, I really thought you regretted it all... luckily I was wrong"

Max wanted to answer tell the voice he would never regret it, like he never regret him, but he couldn't find his voice. He wanted to speak up so badly. Reassure the sad voice that it would be alright. His mouth didn't move, his limbs still layed still. His eyes glued shut...but he tried.

"You remember when you wanted to show of your pancake backing skills? When you showed me your flipping skills and the pancake got stuck to the ceiling?" An audiable laugh was heard and Max felt the butterfly's in his stomach "Only for me to show off but then to do exactly the same"
Its the warmth he felt at the memory.

God he loved him... he loved... he loved?... he hated the haze in his head. Why wasn't his brain working? Why couldn't he talk? Why couldn't he open his eyes? And he tried and he tried. He so badly tried.

"Or Val d' Argenton? Admit it Verstappen you just drove in to that puddle cause you couldn't help but stare in my eyes don't you?"
Charles , his love, his Charles. He wanted to open his eyes even more. He desperately wanted to stare in those green orbs. He remembered everything now, the crash, the ambulance, the hospital, his head ache that gradually got worse and worse.
He already felt that something was wrong but he couldn't place it. The only thing that mattered to him in that moment is that they took care of Charles.

He was sure it was bad news when he felt blood dripping out of his ears. Seeing the blood on his fingertips "fuck!" Before everything went black. Never making it towards the nurses station.

Fuck! Charles must have been terrified, he probably still was... so he tried and he tried as he finally found words and they left his mouth:

"To bad you got us both disqualified"  his voice was groggy and painful though everything was worth it as he heard Charles's snort and after a couple of second he felt a warm and soft touch of strong fingers on either side of his cheeks. A hopeful voice asking "M-MAX?!"
He opened his eyes, though the white surrounding them stung , he saw the outlines of the monegasque and he felt like the butterfly's in his chest did somersaults.

He softly hummed his throat still sore
"That's me" as a little smile crept on his lips. As two strong arms wrapped around him and he felt his cheek getting wet as Charles was sobbing uncontrollably on his chest. And Max let him. He couldn't imagine what the last couple of hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Would have been like for Charles as he knew he had seen this film before. He would ask him later what happend and how long he had been out for, now he just wrapped his arms around him. Whispering softly "I'm here, I'm here" as he held him thight.

As the younger man calmed down a little he pulled up a bit and climbed on the bed as he caressed the Dutchman's face. "You came back to me" his voice broken and soft. "I love you so much Max! Don't ever leave me again!" And Max didn't know what to say so he just pushed his lips up and mumbled sweet "I love you's" against his.

———

By now the doctor had checked on him and though they needed to do some further checks everything seemed to be going okay. Charles had insisted on calling their families but Max had practically begged him to stay a little bit longer. So Charles had texted to come to the hospital straight away before he threw his phone to the side. He couldn't turn the dutchman down now that he was finally back with him. So they just cuddled and talked until their family entered the room.

"What was so urgent tha-" Sophie stopped dead in her tracks. And before he knew it she was beside his bed "honey?!" As Jos looked at Max, blinked twice and looked at Charles as if to check that what he was seeing was real. Charles smiled and nodded and then the older dutchman also got closer and placed his hands on Max's blanked covered feet as he went to stand behind the bed before he wrapped one of his arms around Victoria as she was crying. Wipping away some tears himself. Pascale entered the room last, looking shocked before a big smile appeared on her face as she hugged her son from behind placing a kiss on his cheek.

———

Their family had just left and Max felt tired, his head starting to pound. "I think I want to go sleep" he sighed. Though he had been merely awake for 90 minutes he felt like he could sleep for days. "That's okay Cherie, you should rest" Charles whispered as he caressed his cheek before kissing him softly. After he fluffed up the Dutchman's pillow and Max let himself sink in to it, closing his eyes. A content smile on his face as he felt himself relax.

That was until he didn't feel the monegasque's warmth anymore and he blinked open his eyes. "Charlie?" He asked panic laced in his voice it only subsided as Charles grabbed his hand and came in to view again. "What is it Max?" He asked worried scanning his boyfriend for anything indicating that something could be wrong.

So Max held on tightly . "Please don't go? Stay?" He asked his voice small and desperate and though Charles hadn't planned on leaving anyway he now cuddled him close once more. "I'm here, I'm not going anywhere. je suis là, je resterai, je ne te quitterai plus jamais. I won't waste another minute without you"