Chapter 11 - hungry

After I covered my wrists with a sweater I walked downstairs. I felt weird about what I just did, but also felt relieved.

I walked over to Frypan to get my dinner. He gave me a few potatoes, an egg and some bread. I got my plate and walked to a table. I didn't see Newt and Minho yet, but they would probably join me soon.

I got some food on my fork and brought it to my mouth.

'Don't.' A voice said.

It almost made me drop my fork. Don't?

I ignored it and put the food in my mouth anyways.

'Stop. You don't need it.'

I heard the voice again. It was like I hadn't control of it, the voice echoed in my head.

Maybe if I just listen to the voice it will stop. I grabbed my plate and walked to the kitchen.
As I made my way I felt lots of eyes on me. It made me feel a little uncomfortable.
I threw the food in the garbage can and threw a few paper towels on top of it so no one could see the food. I walked back to the tables and saw Newt and Minho sitting now.

'Hey, guys.' I joined them trying to act as normal as possible.

'Hey.' Newt said with a small smile.

Both of the boys started eating their food. After a minute or two Minho looked at me.

'Where's your food?' He asked me with a little frown.

'Already ate it.' I said trying not to make eye contact.

I'm only gonna skip eating one time, I thought to myself. The voice just had to stop for a while.

Minho and Newt finished after a while.

'I'm gonna chill in the Homestead.' Newt said goodbye and Minho followed him, leaving me alone.

After a few minutes I got up and also got to the homestead, on my way to my room. I walked up the stairs and was just about to open the door to my room when I heard whispering. It came from Newt his room. I walked to his door and put my ear on it so I could hear what they were saying. Maybe it was a little rude to overhear their conversation, but I was curious.

I guessed by the voices that Newt and Minho were the ones talking.

'Something is wrong! Didn't you notice?' Newt whisper-screamed.

'Yeah I sure did, but I think we shouldn't make such a big deal out of it. She'll be okay.' Minho said.

I heard someone sigh. Newt and Minho seemed to stop talking and I heard footsteps coming closer to the door. I quickly got in my room and closed the door.

I should probably go to sleep now. I needed to wake up at 5:15 a.m. every morning to go into the maze. I put on my pyjamas and crawled under the blanket.

~

I woke to the next morning yawning. I stretched my arms and noticed the cuts. I would have to cover them up again, but because of the running I wore a t-shirt. I got some bracelets that I was wearing when I came up in the Box and put them on. They covered the cuts.

I let out a sigh and got my food. As I walked back with my plate in my hands I felt eyes on me again. I saw a few boys looking at me. I continued walking a little nervous and joined Minho and Ben.

'Hey, Greenie.' Minho greeted me.

'Nice to see you.' Ben said smiling at me.

'Hey.' I sat down next to Minho and smiled at Ben.

'Don't eat it Raven. You don't need it. Didn't you see the boys looking at you with that look on their faces?'

I definitely saw the boys looking. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at my food. The voice sounded different this time. It was more like it was me saying it, instead of the woman.

'Your not hungry.' The voice said trying to convince me. It worked.

'I'm not that hungry actually.' I pushed my plate a little forward.

Minho and Ben both looked up at me but didn't say anything about it.

Minho and Ben finished their food and we walked to the doors. They opened and we left the Glade behind us.

I was running for about half an hour now and took a small break to catch my breath. Normally I could run longer than this, but I guess I didn't had that much energy since I skipped breakfast. After a while I started running again. I kept repeating it, running for half an hour and then stopping for a while.

After a few hours it was time for lunch. I sat down against a wall and grabbed my lunch.
I looked at my sandwich. Somehow I didn't feel like eating, even though my stomach made noises.

Just one more time, and then I'll stop.

I threw the sandwich a few feet away from me.

I hope the grievers enjoy the sandwich. I smirked a little before I headed back to the glade.

After a few hours I could see the Glade. I ran trough the doors and got to the map room. I wrote down the things I saw.

When I was done writing everything down I got out of the map room. I got to the tables without even getting food and sat down next to Newt.

I didn't want to eat. The voice did something to me. The voice did stop, but now I was stopping myself from eating. It couldn't be bad to lose some weight, maybe those boys would stop looking at me if I did.

I was in my own thoughts when Newt interrupted me.

'Aren't you supposed to eat something?' He asked with a confused look on his face.

'Not hungry. I've had a lot for breakfast and lunch already.' I lied.

'Alright, I guess.' Newt replied a little unsure.

'No food again?' Minho joined us a few minutes later and looked at me.

'I'm not hungry.' I said.

I heard something drop so I looked besides me. Newt had dropped his fork and looked at me with his mouth slightly open.

'What?' I laughed nervous and scratched my neck.

'What do you mean again?' Newt asked.

Minho didn't respond and turned to me, raising his eyebrows.

'Why'd you lie?' Newt asked me.

'Didn't want y'all to worry. It's nothing. I didn't feel so good this morning so I skipped breakfast. My stomach is still full because of my lunch.' I said lying again.

'But you need to eat something.'

'I'm already full.'

'Alright then.' Newt sighed and started eating his food.