Chapter 5 - Lies

I woke up the next morning feeling calmness all over me. Last night was very fun and it made me feel at home a little more. I still had to sleep in one of the hospital beds but tomorrow my room would be done. I got up and put my clothes on.

When I got my breakfast I sat down next to Minho.

'I can give you the training today.' He said

'Yes, finally!' I was excited.

We finished our breakfast. I followed Minho toward the homestead. He walked down the stairs. I haven't been here before, but it looked like a basement. He opened another door and walked in, I followed him.

I looked around a saw dozens of weapons hanging on the walls.

'Every runner gets to choose a weapon since the maze is dangerous. You can defend yourself against the monsters in the maze. We call them Grievers. You can get stung by them. It never happened to me but trust me you don't wanna get stung.'

I nodded. I finally knew why the maze was dangerous.

'Let's go back outside, we'll start your training to see if you can handle being a runner.'

Minho walked up the stairs again. I noticed he locked the door to the weapon room with a key. Are other gladers not supposed to be in here?

'Go run a few rounds around the Glade.' Minho ordered once we arrived outside.

I nodded and started running. After 3 rounds Minho told me I could stop. I didn't feel tired yet, I liked running actually.

'We have to remember which way we go, so we cut ivy off the walls to remember where we are.' Minho pulled out a knife and gave it to me. 'Run to that wall and cut off some ivy while running.' He pointed at one of the walls.

I ran towards the grey wall. While running I tried to cut off the ivy. It wasn't perfect, but I did alright. I ran back to Minho.

'Not bad.' He said.

The rest of the day he made me do some exercises, like push-ups and sit-downs, I also had to run a few more rounds. My legs started to hurt after a few hours but I loved the adrenaline that was flowing through my body.

I ran back to Minho.

'Okay, let's get dinner now.' We already ate lunch earlier.

We got our dinner and sat down at one of the tables.

'How'd you like it so far?' Minho asked me. 'You did a great job.'

'It was fun!' I said. This might've been the only job I actually liked. I didn't try the other jobs out yet, but they didn't sound very exciting.

Newt and Alby joined our table.

'What do you think about the glade, greenie?' Alby asked me.

'It's okay.'

I did feel tired after a whole day of running, so I wanted to go to bed early. After dinner, I went on a short walk. After that, I made my way to the homestead. I brushed my teeth and put on my pajamas.

I was on my way to the hospital room, but suddenly I heard boys arguing. The voices came from downstairs.

I quietly walked downstairs to hear what the boys were talking about.

'Newt, you can't decide for her. She didn't even try out all the jobs yet!' I guessed by the voice it was Alby.

'I just don't want her to be a Runner! It's too dangerous.' Newt said. I noticed that he sounded different than most of the boys. I wouldn't call it an accent, but he sounded different.