Chapter 7 - Runner

A few days later my period ended. Luckily I was only sick for one day. I already tried the last few jobs so today they would have a gathering to decide what job I got to do.
I still wanted to be a Runner really bad, because that was the only job I really liked.
I had to wait outside until the gathering was done. Finally, after what seemed hours, Alby got out of the room.

'We decided your job. You're a runner. Congratulations!' Alby told me.

'Yes that's amazing!' I answered Alby with a smile on my face.

'It's lunch time now.' Alby said.

I got some food and sat down next to Minho with a huge smile on my face. I loved running and thought it would be really fun to explore in the maze.

'Congrats, Greenie.' Minho smiled at me.

'Thanks! Are we gonna get started today?' I asked him.

'I guess you're very excited.' Minho said. 'You aren't gonna run today but I will explain a few things to you.'

I nodded and I continued eating my food. When I was done I followed Minho. We walked towards the homestead and went downstairs to the weapon room. Minho unlocked the door and got in.

'You get to choose a weapon.'

I looked around to see all the weapons. I saw a crossbow, but it would be a little big to carry in the maze all day. Then my eye caught a knife. I walked towards it to get a better look. It looked more like a small sword, it was silver and very sharp.

 It looked more like a small sword, it was silver and very sharp

'I want this one.' I pointed at the knife.

'Aha, that's a dagger. Nice choice.' He got the dagger of the wall and gave it to me. He also gave me a leather cover to put around the dagger.

After I got my weapon we walked towards a corner in the weapon room. He handed me green shorts, a black top, shoes and 'Runner undies.' I frowned and wondered why they had all this stuff.

He also gave me a watch so I could see when the doors will close and open.
They open at 6 am and close at 6 pm, Minho had explained to me.
I nodded and put on the watch.

I followed Minho back outside into the forest. There was a small wooden hut that I hadn't seen before.

'This is the map room. Every day when we get back to the Glade we go to the map room. We draw the maze and sometimes we write something down if there is anything different.' Minho explained. 'Here's some paper and a pencil. Try it out.'

I nodded and he handed me the paper and pencil. I sat down on one of the chairs and began drawing. I drew a few lines that were supposed to be the walls of the maze. After a while I lay down the pencil and got up.

'Good job. Looks great.' Minho complimented me.

'Thanks.'

We went to get diner and sat down on one of the tables. A few minutes later Newt joined us.