58. A CUP

58. THERE IS A GLASS CUP

"I have been expecting you, Darian. I knew you'd come for me." Amy leaned on the high stool in the bar of her living room.

The activities of the casino had been suspended since the day Gaius was poisoned. All of the women working there were to remain in their houses as they were being investigated on what they knew about the poisoning.

Darian carefully observed her, she seemed to be at ease like nothing at all was bothering her.

"You know why I am here, don't you?" He asked, his eyes lingering on the painting that was hung on the wall—the one he gifted her many years ago. It was still clean the way he gave it to her. It was the painting of a woman who wrapped her baby in her hands, her eyes were sad as she stared at the baby. Amy specifically chose it when they went to the art gallery. She had told him it related well to her and he got it for her as a gift.

"To ask if I was the one who poisoned Gaius?" She laughed, wriggling her head in chagrin. "Do you think I can do something like that?"

"Amy, please, I need you to be real with me. Lena didn't do it and we have to prove her innocence. Do you have a hand in this?" He queried.

"I won't take offense to this because I understand your plight." Amy poured some wine into a glass and passed it to Darian, but he refused it. She smiled and downed the wine at a go. "I don't," she said wryly.

"You ordered her to serve the wine." Darian was frustrated, he banged the bar counter in annoyance.

Amy quickly held the glass from rumbling and falling to the floor.

"Yes, I did because it's the culture of the mafia. How was I to know that she'd poison his wine?" She shot a glare at Darian.

"She didn't do it, Amy. She didn't."

"I see," she scoffed. "Darian, I don't like Lena, I don't like the fact that she's with you, but I will never hurt her."

"Amy, if I ever find out that you have a hand in this, I won't spare you." He warned her.

"You can go ahead and do whatever you want, I am innocent of this." She poured another glass cup of wine and gulped it down. She was mad that Darian would ever think she could do something like that.

He slipped out of the stool, gaping at Amy who looked so unbothered as she poured the wine into the glass and sipped.

"You've been too hard on me, Darian," Amy uttered. Darian refrained himself from moving out of the house, he slowly turned back to gaze at her. She stirred up and walked towards him. "I don't know if this will interest you, but Gaius has a special glass cup he uses at the casino. The glass cup is always kept in Talia's office and only used to serve him on occasions."

Darian hurriedly gripped her hand, pulling her closer to himself. "Did Lena use that glass cup to serve him that day?" He asked her.

"Lena is stubborn, I told her to serve Gaius with the cup, but I guess she didn't. She doesn't listen to the things I tell her to do." Amy sighed, rubbing her fingers against her temples in worry.

"Did you tell her that the cup is personal and only used on special occasions?" He looked into Amy's face.

"I didn't, I just told her to serve his wine with the glass cup." Amy shrugged. "She does what she wants, she doesn't listen to me. I was still talking to her when she walked out on me that day. What should I do?"

Darian heaved a loud sigh. If only Lena wasn't stubborn. He dug his nails in his hair and paced the living room.

"You can ask her if she used the glass cup to serve him, if she didn't then there is no way you can prove her innocence." Amy shook her head pitifully.

"Thank you, I have to go now."

"Darian," she held him back. "I will be here to help whenever you need me." She assured him, letting go of his arms.

He nodded his head and walked out of her house.

-

-

-

Darian heard Lena's loud groans as he approached the dark room. The soldiers who stood close to the gates didn't see him as he neared, he rushed toward the room. The gates were left unchained, and two of the soldiers gawked at him, regretting why they didn't see him coming.

They knew they were doomed if Darian found out his wife had been brutally tortured.

He opened the gate and ran in, punching the guy who was hitting Lena with a rod.

"How dare you touch her?" The anger that surged through him was uncontrollable. He kicked the other one who was cheering him up, he clutched the neck of the third one and pulled out his pistol from his pocket. "How dare you all raise those filthy hands to hit my wife?" He growled, smashing the man's back to the cold wall.

"Master Judson ordered us to torture her." The man said. Darian let off his tight grip on him.

"I am the boss and my words stand," he warned them, he cocked his gun, still fuming, he pointed the gun to his head. "I will kill you the next time you lay those hands on her again. He let go of her and ran to get Lena. "Are you okay?" He cupped her face.

Lena stared faintly at him, "Darian if I go on like this for days, I will die." She sobbed into his hand. He stroked her hair assuring her that everything was okay. "Darian, it's been two days now. These guys don't go easy on me when you are not around."

"I am here with something that might be the solution." He took her fingers in his. "Amy told me about a glass cup she'd told you to serve Gaius with. Did you use it?"

"Amy? She was surprised.

"Yes, she told me about the cup and that it was always kept in Talia's office and only taken out for special reasons. "I used the cup she gave to me, does this prove that I am innocent of the crime?" She asked.

"No, we haven't declared that yet," Darian said.

"I have to interrogate Talia." He said, snapping his fingers at his words.

"She's still sad. Do you think she'd like it if you asked her something like this?" Lena opposed.

"I have to find out." Darian sighed. "I hate to see you here tied down to this damn chair."

"I do too, but what do we do?"

"I will interrogate her. We need to find more facts and properly look into this case. I am glad you used the glass." He smiled, melting Lena's heart.

At that point, she didn't care if she was in pain, Darian's smile was healing her up until those lips stretched back into a scowl.

"Don't tell my dad about this. That old man worries too much, I don't want him to start getting hurt because of me." Lena said.

"I will get you out of here soon, I mean it. I have to go to the hospital to see Talia and ask her a few questions."

She bounced her head, letting go of his hand.

"I will be here waiting for you."

"Hang in there," Darian moved backward to stare properly at Lena. Her face was all swollen and bruises were scattered on her face, he shook his head dejectedly.

He commanded the soldiers not to touch Lena and they agreed to his instructions. I will come back for you." He pressed a long kiss to her forehead and left the room.

The soldiers took back their positions before Darian walked in to throw a brawl. None of them moved close to Lena, they feared Darian and knew what he could do.

Lena relaxed on the chair and thought of what Darian just told her. If it was the truth, her innocence would be proven to everyone, but if it was true, Talia would be in trouble.

Lena sighed, what if Talia was the one who poisoned her husband? She smiled briefly. She couldn't do that, there was no way she was going to do that. She loved him too much to hurt him.

Lena stopped thinking about those things, and she sighed, hoping that she'd get out of there soon. It was suffocating already, she couldn't take in more of the pain.

Faithy💓