22. NO ONE CARES

22. NO ONE CARES

Lena felt a hand on her as she rolled on the bed, she slightly opened her eyes. Rolling over again, she sat upright and looked at Darian who was sleeping peacefully on the bed, his breaths were soft, his face so calm. She smiled, moving her fingers to touch his hair, she rescinded her hands before she could run her fingers through his hair. She knew he carried her into the bedroom. She had slept off on the couch while seeing the movie with Darian.

"Why are you gawking at me?" Darian's eyes snapped open at once.

Lena was startled, she wondered if he had been pretending to sleep all this while.

"Good morning," she greeted him.

"Hmm," he sat right, resting his back on the headboard. "You bragged that you could control your liquor intake last night but you didn't even take up to two bottles of beer before sleeping off like a log of wood." He picked up his phone and glanced through it.

"I will take that as your good morning too." She scoffed at him for deriding her.

Darian said nothing even though she wanted him to talk about last night.

"About yesterday," she cleared her throat.

"What about yesterday?" He squinted his eyes at her.

Lena snickered, "What do you mean what about yesterday?" She asked him, resentment making its way into her.

"I thought you wanted to talk about something." He dropped the phone in the drawer. 

"Yes, but forget it." She yanked the blanket off her body, tied the belt of her robe, and headed into the bathroom.

He watched as she flounced into the bathroom, he had no idea what he had done that made her upset but he didn't care too much about it—she was always mad at him.

Lena got into the bathroom and began to ruffle her hair, she stared into the mirror and expressed her anger.

"Really what about yesterday? Not even a thank you for the cake, the dinner, and the movie? Arrogant bastard!" She clenched her fist and was about to hit the mirror when a strong hand held her back. She peeked over her shoulder to see Darian standing tall behind her.

"You will not only destroy the mirror, but you will also hurt yourself too." He spun her around and tilted her face to the side. "If you have a problem with me, come talk to me instead of venting your anger on an inanimate object." He smirked at her and freed her.

"What, wh-a-t?" Lena stuttered. "This isn't about you, who cares about you?" She stared away before he could look into her eyes to see that she was lying.

"No one cares about me and it's not new to me." He took out his toothbrush from the holder that housed numerous brushes. He gently pressed the toothpaste onto the toothbrush and started to brush his teeth. 

Lena did the same. Without saying a word to each other, they brushed and left the bathroom afterwards.

Darian walked over to where the water dispenser was placed in the room. He fetched a glass, filled it with some water and went back to sit at the bedside. Gulping down the water, he quickly swallowed some pills, Lena caught him but she pretended to be oblivious to what he just did.

She didn't bother to ask, she knew well that he wasn't going to give a response.

"I will drop you at the casino," he went over to his closet to select the outfit he would be wearing to work. He brought out well-tailored crispy black trousers, a white shirt, and a wine tuxedo. Checking them out, he nodded his head satisfactorily.

"You gave me bodyguards, why do you still want to drop me?" She asked him, still contemplating what to wear in her mind. She had so many dresses she always got confused about which one to wear. She'd preferred to always don her baggy trousers and shirt to work, they made her more comfortable. But Darian would never let her wear that kind of clothes.

"I insist on dropping you off, I want to see someone there." He looked at her.

Lena sat on the bed and nodded her head, "Is that someone Amy?" She asked slyly. She knew there was something more between Amy and Darian but she couldn't process what it was.

"Amy?" He lowered his head. "Amy is a host at the casino. Where would you suspect I have something with her?" His jaw clenched tightly.

"Could be a past fling or maybe your ex-girlfriend. Something more." She tried to push the words into his mouth.

Darian said nothing, he stripped himself naked and walked into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him.

"What was that?" Lena hissed. She bit her lips and thought of Amy; the reason she was rude to her the first time they met. If there wasn't anything between him and Amy then she didn't have a reason to be rude to her. Lena drummed her fingers on her thighs, thinking hard to understand what was between her husband and the chief hostess at the casino.

She was still lost in thought when she suddenly remembered he didn't lock the storage drawer, she got out of bed and stepped quietly to his side of the bed. She held the handle of the drawer, pulled it out, and got hold of one of the pill boxes. She was about to read through when Darian stepped out of the bathroom.

"Oh my, I saw it hanging over here." She cried out mainly to distract him from noticing she just pried into his privacy. "It's here, there." She jerked her fingers up at the ceiling.

"What did you see?" He adjusted the towel that was tied to his waist and looked around the room. Lena quickly shoved the box into her robe and slowly pushed the drawer close.

"I don't know, I thought I saw a spider crawling on the wall. Maybe I was hallucinating," she looked at Darian. "I guess the beer I had last night is still telling on me, I see different things when I wake up from a hangover." She said.

"Hangover?" He studied her, "You were talking fine before I left to have my bath. So, what hangover are you talking about?" He queried.

"Oh, oh, I am weird, you know? Oh, Darian is this you?" She twisted her head as she gawked at him. "Oh my God, you're spinning around, I can see you in seven different places." She reached for his hand and looked up at him. "It's just one now," she let go of him and walked back to her bedside.

"Weird," he scoffed as he watched her stagger to her feet. 

"Yes," she said with a lopsided smile. "I should get ready too." She hurried into the bathroom, praying so hard that he wouldn't notice she took the pills. She was glad she got hold of the pills, she was finally going to find out what kind of pills it was.

Faithy💓