Chapter 1

Jessica's POV

I was pushed against the cold hard floor. I wanted to fight back but I couldn't. The pain that was running through my body was unbearable. Tears streamed down my face. I felt as if I was better off died then alive. So much anger and pain was built up inside over the pass years.

 My current boyfriend, Jackson was terrible to me. Jackson would beat me, put me down, and make me feel worthless. The emotional and physical abuse, has been accumulating over the years, and I've finally had enough.

That night I was planning to leave but he caught me. He beat me up terribly. He punched me in the face, threw me on the floor, and started kicking me on my ribs.

" I will be back. You better not try leaving again. You will regret it." He told me, with a creepy smile.

That night he was planning on going to the bar, and getting drunk and beat me more when he comes home. Not this time. I was leaving for good. When he leaves I was planning to call an old friend. An old friend I had feelings for my whole life.  

Jackson kicked me again straight on my back, and left. My whole body ached. The physical and verbal abuse was tearing me apart. How can someone say they love you, and treat you like your worthless?

After getting the strength to get back up, I got my jacket, my cell phone, and some cash. I walked out the door locking it behind me. I grabbed my phone, and called the guy I was truly in love with. I hoped he still had the same number from high school. I pressed the call button. The phone ringed serval times. On the second ring, he answered.

"Hello?" A familiar voice spoke.

"Is this Peter? Peter Hernandez?" I asked, clarifying if it was him.

"Umm...Yes... Who's this?" He asked nervously.

" Jessica...Jessica Aguilar." I responded with relief.

"Oh. Jessica. How are you? I haven't talked to you in forever." Peter said happily.

"Ok. I guess." My voice cracked when I was telling him. "Are you in town? I know it's late and this might sound strange sense we haven't talk in a long time. Can you meet me at Lili's Coffee Shop?"

"Sure. Be there in like 5 minutes." He said.

I sat at the table, and waited for Bruno patiently. Covering my face from all the people around me, I was hoping nobody saw my bruises that Jackson gave me.

A few minutes later

I see Peter getting out of his car. He looked so handsome. Flashbacks rushed back into my head. All the great memories we had. Because of Jackson, I stopped talking to Peter. After that, Peter got so successful and became the wonderful talented Bruno Mars. I wonder if I ever crossed his mind. Of course not. Why would he think of me?

"Hey Hun."I looked up and saw him right in front of me. I smiled and took out my hand for him to shake it. "I hate handshakes. Get up and hug me." He said with a smile.

My smile got even bigger. I got up to hug him. I felt butterflies in my stomach, like I use to when I was with him. He sat down and a waiter came to take our order.

"Thanks for coming." I told him.

"No problem. So how are you-" He stopped and looked at my lip. His smile faded away and turn into an angry face."Jessica, why is there a cut on your lip, and a bruise on your arm?! Who in the hell did this to you?!" Peter said in a strong tone.

His face was filled with anger. He was always so protective over me. In high school, he would always protect me like a brother. He promised me no matter what happened, he will always be there. That's one thing that never changed about him.

"I-I fell. No biggie." I responded nervously. 

I wasn't ready to speak about what Jackson did to me. The way Peter is, he would find Jackson, and do something to him. As much as I wanted someone to beat the living hell out of Jackson, I was worried some how I would end up getting back into his arms.

"I know you're lying. You never were a good lier, anyway." He said, with a grin on his face.

The corners of my lips face upwards. He knew me more than I knew myself. My feelings for him were always so strong. 

Since we were in elementary school. Mrs. Miller's second grade class. When I tripped him causing him to fall and get a bloody nose.

Bruno grabbed a napkin and started cleaning the blood off my lip. He was a great guys. Someone who didn't deserve a broken girl like me. I was just a burden, but I was desperate for help. 

"Can I ask you for a favor?" I asked nervously, after he finished cleaning up the blood.

"Sure. What is it?" He looked me right in the eyes, with a smile on his face, causing him to show his dimples.

" I don't have a place to stay tonight. Can I stay with you?"