Chapter 31

Days had passed and already this new year was proving true to keeping me busy. I'd just gotten home from a meeting only to be reburied in work emails. After an hour of replying to them, I felt my stomach rumble and remembered I'd barely eaten all day. I also didn't have much energy to cook anything so shoving my face full of some chips sounded like a great idea. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a bag and waltzed out to the living room ready to indulge in a much-needed break. I plopped onto the couch, flipping on a rerun of The Office. I was about three chips in when there was a knock at the door.

I had no idea who it could be, but it had to be someone who knew the gate code. I got up and set the chips down. I went to the door and checked the peephole to find Dre. Ugh. What the hell was he doing here?

I opened the door not in the mood for pleasantries. "Austin isn't home," I said as my greeting.

"Hello to you too." He gave me a tight smile, then continued, "I'm actually not here for Austin. I'm here to talk to you."

"Oh." What the hell did he want to talk to me about? Part of me wanted to tell him no thanks. Not interested. But I sucked up my attitude and played nice. "I guess come in."

"Thank you. I promise I'll be quick."

He stepped inside, and I closed the door. He didn't walk far into the room, only making it a few yards past me before he turned to me.

Okay, this was weird. What could he need to say to me? "So, what's up?" I pressed. "Is this about Gergana? If so, she hates you and I wouldn't bother."

His facial expression lightened, entertained by the assumption, but he shook his head. "No. Trust me," he assured. "I'm here because of Austin."

My brows furrowed more confused than before. "Okay."

"It's no secret I'm trying to get Austin on this tour."

My arms folded over my chest. "Nope, seeing as I hear him telling you no often."

"Something he doesn't do," he replied with a tilt of his head.

"Pity for you, I'm sure."

Dre let my comment roll off of him. "This isn't about me."

"Really?" I pressed, not believing it for a second. "Because you don't get money from this tour?"

"That's not what I'm saying," he argued. He took a breath before locking his eyes onto mine. "What I am trying to get at is that Austin has changed since being with you."

There was a faint pang in my stomach hearing those words, but I tamped it down. People changing after entering a serious relationship was inevitable. "I've changed too. What's your point," I spat.

Dre ran his tongue over his teeth, and I saw his patience fading. He did say this conversation would be quick. "Fine, let me be blunt. You're holding him back," he said. "We both know he's only saying no for you. Because of the shit that happened last time. Now I had been under the assumption that it was for his best interest. But now, I'm not so sure. I mean from what I remember, you supported his career. But now you're enabling him to turn this down."

A lump formed in my throat. His words felt like a lash against me, but I didn't want him to see that. "I do support him," I defended. "And if you knew anything, you'd know that I told Austin to do the tour. He won't listen and I don't want to fight about it anymore."

His eyes narrowed in on me. "See that's just it. You are weak when it comes to him too. It's not good for either of you. Could you imagine him realizing this was a mistake and knowing it was all tied to you. I hate to say it, but he'd blame you. We all know he is at the peak of his career and so close to the Grammy, something he's wanted, but yet he's suddenly willing to pull back all in the name of love." My insides coiled. Like there was a clawing nausea in my stomach. Part of me wanted to slap Dre and tell him to get the fuck out. Admonish him for having the nerve to blame this on me. Yet, I couldn't move or open my mouth.