Chapter 53 The Hands of a Killer

"I'm telling you Babs this guy was huge!" Tim told Barbra from where he sat on the holo table. "He was at least half a foot taller than Red Hood."

"And what happened to him. The police only reported one arrest."

"He won't be a problem anymore." Lyla said coldly, from her spot next to Tim where she attempted to scrub the blood and slime out of her gloves.

No one had slept last night. Stephanie had a concussion but other than that they walked away with nothing but a few sprained joints, bruises and a lot of questions. Bruce had arrived before sunrise and had insisted that Lyla and Jason stay to help him find answers.

"You killed him?" Bruce questioned.

"I did." Jason answered.

"We did." Lyla corrected. "And I didn't do it just for the hell of it." She explained taking Bruce's expression. "It was him or us. We made a choice."

Bruce opened his mouth as if to say something but decided against it.

"Well it doesn't matter now. You're all safe, that's what counts." Barbra explained attempting to lighten the mood.

The desk chimed softly and Alfred's voice rang through.

"IF EVERYONE WOULD PLEASE MAKE THEIR WAY UPSTAIRS, LUNCH IS READY."

"Thanks Alfred." Barbra said before turning away from the desk.

" I think it could all be connected." Lyla said. Her and Barbra had continued discussing last night despite the meal break. "The weapons, the new drugs Jason and I have been tracking down, whoever was trying to lure in Batman, and whatever kids are getting involved. It's all happening way to close together to be a coincidence."

"What all do you know about the new drug?" Barbra asked.

"It's some kind of enhancement drug." Jason answered for her. "All we've found out is the produces an unnatural amount of adrenaline. People have died from their hearts giving out while it's in their system. But rumor has it that it's giving people super strength."

"It's venom." Bruce answered. "I've seen it before. Never as a street drug, but in a man called Bane. It's extremely dangerous stuff and definitely not something that needs to be in the hands of the general public."

"Do you know where to find this guy? If we can take out the source that'll solve the problem all the way down."

"Bane's in prison. Has been for years. He's one we keep tabs on even while he's in lockup." Barbra answered.

"Well then what are supposed to do? They came after us, we can't just sit back let them think we won't retaliate." Lyla questioned.

"We keep doing what WE already started." Jason answered. "We start at the bottom and move our way up until someone squeals."