Chapter 50 Safe Haven

-    Jason's pov-

No matter how much changed the manor would always be a safe place for them.

A place full of happy memories.

Full of laughter.

Full of family.

And after all these years, progress was being made.

Dinner that night was a true family dinner. Something they hadn't had since thanksgiving nearly three years ago. Except their family had changed and grown until it felt like it was a whole new unit. But for just one night, Gotham, Blüdhaven, and the rest of the world had to fend for themselves. Because tonight the Wayne's where making things right.

Bruce's new found smile didn't fade through dinner, even as Lyla and Dick berated him about getting Damian a dog.

"Come on Bruce, he'll hardly even let me have time with MY dog. Getting him his own would be good for him." Dick said through a smile.

"He's right, Dogs can teach both affection and responsibilities. It would be a great way to help get Damian settled in." Lyla added.

"I do not need the two of you to fight my battles!" Damian snapped at them.

The dinning room erupted with laughter at the, normally cool headed, kid's outburst.

Jason had found himself sitting across from Dick, again. And once again, Dick wrapped his foot behind Jason's ankle.

Such a simple action stirred a nearly unbearable confusion in Jason. It felt wrong in some ways, in others it felt it was really nothing. His relationship with Dick had never been cut and clean, never perfectly clear. He'd always looked up to Dick, sure, but nothing about their relationship up to this point had made Jason feel the way this unseen motion had.

Jason placed his hand on Lylas thigh to try and ground himself. She felt warm under his touch. He pushed his had higher, playing with the inner seam of her jeans. At the movements a small gasp escaped her lips, but over the conversation swirling the room, on one heard it. No one but Dick, who now stared at them but with his eyebrows raised.

Conflict raged through Jason. He had no doubt that what he and Lyla had done, what they where planning to do was the right thing. But would it all be worth it if they lost this for the sake of doing the right thing?