Chapter 14: The price of knowledge 2019

They decided to leave the grave open in order to show Bruce their proof.
Alfred excused himself as soon as they'd reached the manor. The other three wracked their brains with theories of who could have caused this until they'd fallen asleep in the study some time around noon.

Bruce had been the one to find them that way. They wasted no time dragging them out to the garden only to find the plot covered back up.
Dick and Lyla tried to explain what they'd seen, Lyla even showed home the bumps, now joined by shovel blisters, on her hands.
Bruce, however, seemed to think they where delusional. Even going as far as to suggest a therapist if they where struggling to cope.
Anger rose up in Lylas throat, she remembered yelling, but what she said seemed to slip her mind.

Nearly a week had passed and Lyla had hardly left the cave. Barbra had been patrolling Gotham entirely on her own. Bruce had left for Metropolis the day after Lyla blew up at him. Dick had been around the manor but Nightwing had not. Lyla couldn't imagine being Phantom without Robin so she did her part by navigating and monitoring CCTV while Barbra patrolled. So Batgirl kept Gotham safe.
Lyla and tipped to cops off to the fact that the vigilantes would be scarce, though they didn't seem to change a thing.

During the time she wasn't helping Barbra, Lyla was playing detective. Using the resources from the batcave, Lyla had a few ideas about who would want Jason's body. She didn't like any of those ideas.

" What've you got?" Roy's voice rang over the speaker phone.

" Nothing I like."

" Lyla." He wined.

" Alright fine," Lyla sighed, " my first lead is Cadmus."

" Cadmus?" Roy repeated.

" According to the Teams files they experiment with cloning and have history with Robin from Dick. Maybe they didn't know it's a different Robin, or maybe their trying to get back at Nightwing."

" You're right that does suck. What else do you have."

" You're going to like this idea even less." Lyla said readjusting the piles of note on the holo table in front of her.

" What is it?" Roy pushed

" The league of shadows."

" What!"

" I told you you wouldn't like it."

" Are you insane?"

" No. We'll maybe. The league brings people back from the dead all the time, or at least tries to. Plus the weird history that Bruce refuses to talk about. Maybe they was to revive Robin as a peace offering, or as a punch in the gut, who knows."

Roy sighed heavily into the phone

" You're sure those are the only two options."

" No but they are the only two with the right resources and motivation."

" You know neither of them are going to be easy to locate and eliminate."

" I know, but Roy, what choice do I have?"

" I know," Roy paused, " I can't believe you're going to do this. Do you have a plan yet?"

" Not yet, I want to talk to Dick. He supposed to come by this afternoon. I'll let you know after that."

" Alright, I'll talk to you then."

" Bye Roy."

Lyla spent the next few hours finding potential Cadmus locations across the country. Somehow they seemed the lesser of two evils so she'd start there.

Dick got to the cave late in the afternoon and took the chair next to Lyla.

" Dick!" Lyla greeted eagerly " I have some ideas about Jason's...."

" Lyla I need to talk to you." The look on Dicks face brought Lyla back to reality.

" What wrong?" Dick took one of Lylas hands, placing something in it. She looked down to  find herself holding his mask.

" Dick?"

" I can't do this anymore Lyla. I couldn't save or avenge Jason. And then I...I lost control."

"  But Dick I have ideas, leads. We can make this right."

" I let him die, my brother. I killed someone Lyla. I crossed a line. Nightwings not a hero anymore he's a killer."

" Dick please I need you're help with this." She pleaded gesturing to the table full of notes.

" I don't think I can help anyone anymore."

" Dick please I can't do this by myself." She began to cry.

" Yes you can. If anyone can it's you."

" What about Bruce?" She questioned. " Batman needs Nightwing."

" Then you do it. Cause I can't."

He squeezed her hand still holding his mask, got up and left.