Chapter 17 Family reunion 2020

" I can't believe I'm doing this."Lyla grumbled.

" I promise we can help." Robin told her excitedly. "Barbra's been missing you anyway," his expression changed in an instant. " And Bruce. We'll I'm hoping you can help US in that department."

" What wrong with Bruce?"

" That is a loaded question." His smile started to return.

" I'll race you back to Gotham!" He challenged as they mounted their bikes.

" Oh you're on new kid!"

It was nearly a two day ride back to Gotham. They had stopped to stay at a motel in the middle of nowhere. Turns out the new kids name was Tim and he was Bruce's newest stray.

Lyla was reminded of the bonuses of being close to Bruce, as she sat under a hot shower for the first time in several weeks. Lyla had made it by just fine on her own but showers mostly came from truck stops or 24 hour gyms, which had a way of lacking hot water.
She didn't sleep at all that night. Instead, she spent the night watching the young boy in the bed across from her sleep, as her mind raced.
She held Dick's mask, her mask, in her hands. She'd worn the mask every time she'd become Phantom since the day Dick had left it with her, she'd worn both his mask and hers, a reminder of what he'd said to her that day. Lyla had abandoned Bruce's 'no killing' rule the day she set out on her own. The people she hunted down where monsters. But with every life, Dicks words rang in her ears. She wondered now if Phantom was beyond saving.
She'd become Phantom to protect Jason, to protect Robin.
But there was a new Robin and Jason was gone.
Where did Phantom fit into this new equation?

Her thoughts where cut off by the sun beginning to streak through the grimy window next to her bed.
Her back was to the window, she was sitting, faced toward the other bed, the light cast her long shadow across the tiny room.
Tim began to stir as she climbed off her bed.

    " Rise and shine Boy Wonder. We've still got several hours left on the road."

     Tim only groaned as he made his way to the bathroom.

Lyla pulled herself into her costume only to realize it desperately needed washed. Tim tossed something at her from the bathroom doorway. She hadn't noticed him yet and the bottle hit her in the shoulder.

        " Sorry! Sorry." Tim pleaded. " It'll help with the smell."

Lyla scoffed but sprayed her suit down. The spray was almost completely scentless yet still covered the musty smell that had set in.

        " Lets go." Lyla commanded, tucking her helmet under her arm.

The ride to Gotham was a silent one. They arrived as the sun was setting, pulling into the cave from the waterfall hidden garage door. As she pulled into the cave and Lyla began taking inventory. The Batmobile was gone, Bruce's bike and one she didn't recognize where parked on the slab. Her eyes wonders above it where she found Jason's bike mounted to the wall, hanging above the rest of them with no one to ride it.

        " Come on everyone else is upstairs!" Robin shouted nearly to the elevator.

She joined him, to emerge in an empty study. Robin ran to the lobby while she pushed the fireplace back.
This room, where she figured it out, where it all started.
This was to room that haunted her dreams.
This was here she saw herself holding Jason, cold, bloody, lifeless.