Chapter 42 Dream on

Lyla snapped her head up at a sound in the distance. The ache in her back had set in from one to many days without a bed. She pushed herself further into the corner nest to the dumpster, clinging to the metal bar she held in front of her.

The sounds continued to come from all around her.
Her body shivered. A combination of the fear and the cold made it impossible to sit still.
The disoriented noise slowly turned into laughter and as several shadows formed on the wall across the ally.
Fear rattled in her bones as they came closer by the second.
Who knows what they could want, all Lyla knew is she didn't want to die.

A figure appeared in front of her suddenly. But it wasn't what Lyla had expected to find. It was a young boy with torn up clothes shaggy brown hair and bright green eyes.

" What are you doing back here?" He questioned.

" I..I.." Lyla mumbled, unable to come up with a response.

" Oh are you sleeping back here? Are you by yourself?" He asked.

Lyla nodded.

" Well we're street kids to." He said pointing at the other two boys. "You can come with us  if you want. We don't have a whole lot but we get by." He said smiling at her.

" I...Uh ok." Lyla said reluctantly putting down the pipe and taking his hand.

He pulled her to her feet, smile never wavering. She wavered on her feet as the blisters on her soles screamed at her to sit back down.

" I'm Jason." He beamed.

Lyla finally returned his smile. "I'm Lyla." Her voice squeaked.

" Well Lyla from now on we look out for each other." Lyla turned to face him, a knot formed in her gut.
Something was wrong.
The memory was changing.
And changing fast.

" Or at least I'll look out for you. And you'll let me die."

Suddenly Jason was taller and his face covered with a mask. Blood began to drip from his lips.

" Jason?" Lyla questioned.

His face lost its color and bruises appeared all over his skin.
Tears began to run down her face.

" Look what you did to me. All I wanted to do was help you," Lylas eyes found her feet before she squeezed them close trying to stop the tears.

" To love you. I was so in love with you and you let me die Lyla."

"no, no, no, no" Lyla mumbled to herself.

"Look at me Lyla!" He yelled. "Look at me! Look at what you did to me!"

Jason was alive.
She knew he was.
She done everything she could to get him back.
Hands shook her shoulders and a voice shouted at her from a distance.
Her eyes, she had to open her eyes, she realized.

She pulled her eyes open to find Jason above her worry in his eyes.

" Ja...Jason?" She questioned.

" I'm here my love." He said pulling her into him.

A sound pulled them apart as the door flew open. Dick appeared in the doorway in nothing but a pair of plaid pajama pants.

" Is everything okay? I heard screaming." Dick said, worry filling his words.

" I'm fine" she told Dick. "Just a nightmare." Suddenly Jason was wrapping the duvet around Lyla. " Seriously dude?" Jason scolded and Lyla realized Dick had been looking at her still naked chest rather than her face.

" I'm sorry. I just..." Dicks eyes now wondered down Jason's body stoping only for a brief moment below his waist.

" I'm just gonna go." Dick mumbled and pulled the door closed as he disappeared into the hallway.

Lyla laughed, Jason groaned but pulled Lyla into his chest.
He played with her hair and she listened to him breath until it pulled her back to sleep.