Chapter 48 Plan and purpose

- Jason's Pov-

Lyla didn't sleep that night. Jason had woken up twice in the night to find Lyla with her back against the headboard and knees pulled to her chest.
He knew the thoughts that flooded her head because they where doing the same thing to him.

Things where changing.

Again.

Still.

Things hadn't stopped changing since he got home.

He knew the mission they where on was necessary.

Someone had to make change.

But it didn't scare him any less.

Jason wasn't ready to lose again.

He rolled over in bed to face Lyla. She looked stunning in the low light. Bits of her long hair hung down in her face and the moonlight from the window illuminated her face.

"What's on your mind?" He asked, voice still heavy from sleep.

"It's nothing. Go back to sleep." She said softly.

"Not until you decide to get some rest. Talk to me."

Lyla sighed. "Everything is about to change. It won't be long until Bruce finds out what we did tonight. He'll be pissed. We can't stay in the cabin I'm sure he knows we're here."

"Hey, hey..." Jason cut in. "These are all things we can plan for tomorrow, but not sleeping because your worried will only make it worse." He said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into him.

- Lylas pov-

Lyla didn't sleep for shit. At barely 5 am, she slipped from Jason's hold and crept out into the house. He'd sleep for a few more hours and she needed the time to think.
So she sat on the island, coffee in hand and watched out the window above the sink as she categorized her thoughts.

The cabin wouldn't be an option much longer. They'd have to figure out something else.

She really didn't want to be on Bruce's bad side after their last conversation went so well.

And Damian.
She wasn't willing to loss Damian in all this.

But they where doing the right thing. She knew they where.
The cops wouldn't dare touch the group of people they met with last night. If they killed them someone else would just take their place.
So control was the only real option.
The only way change would really start.

Lyla was eager to go after the crime families. The Falcones and Maroni's where nearly untouchable. Invisible forces who played the field in Gotham. But their personal conflicts and corruption had caused more damage to Gotham than any crazy masked criminal.

The sound of footsteps behind her drug her back from her thoughts.

"G'moring love" she greeted.

"How long have to been up?" Jason asked making his way to the coffee pot.

She turned to look at the stove. 7:48

"A while. Did you sleep alright?"

"Eh" he shrugged. "You ready to start?" He asked joining her on the island.

"Are you?"

"Not even a little bit."

- Jason's pov –

Phantom and Red Hood couldn't make any big moves yet.
It was to soon. They both knew that.
Right now they just  had to figure out Lyla and Jason. That should be easier right?

"I'll have money coming in from the meeting by the end of the week." He reminded her.
They where sprawled out on the couch, Lylas legs rested across his lap.

"We just have to find a place to go and the sooner we're out of here the better." Lyla said, the anxiety was heavy on her face.

" Right. What about the flats downtown we're Barbra used to live? They're not to bad and a good price cause the location."

"Yeah it's an idea." She said still staring at the floor.

It was written all over her face. The conflict. The internal struggle.

"Hey what's wrong?" He asked taking her hands in his.

Lyla let out a sigh and turned to face Jason. Tears where already forming in her eyes.

" I'm scared Jay. I'm scared that by doing what we're doing, I'm going to lose what little family I do have. I just found Damian, if Bruce where to keep him from....."Jason pulled her close and rubbed gentle circles on her back.

"It's all going to work out I promise."

"Even with Bruce. I don't want to create a divide. He my dad for god sake. I told myself I wouldn't let it change anything but it did. I changed everything."

"Ok, ok..." Jason whispered. "We can assume Bruce doesn't know yet since he hasn't acted so let's call Alfred. Hmm? See if we can have dinner at the manor tonight. Let's see how you feel after you've spent some more time with Damian."