part 25

As the bell rang, I began cleaning my area and packing, tossing my notebook into my backpack and zipping it up. I threw my backpack over my shoulder and started walking out of the classroom. The bright color of white and the strong scent of flowers hit my face as I peered out the doorway. I pushed away whatever was near my face and looked at the white roses in Nico's hand, taking a second to adjust. My brow furrowed as I looked at him, dressed in all black as usual, with a small smile on his face as he shook the flowers in the air.

He drew me aside and handed me the bouquet. "Here." I was hesitant at first, but after a few moments, I grabbed the bottom of the clear cellophane.

When I was certain that nobody was nearby, I started by asking him. "What's this for?" I was confused by his gesture.

"I can't do something nice." He shot back.

"No," I told him flatly. There was more to this gesture.

"Today marks our one-month anniversary." He confessed. When I took my phone out of my pocket and looked at the date, I gave him a puzzled look. A month had really flown by. 30 days with Nico felt like an eternity.

"And you got me flowers?"

"You see them, don't you?" He said it in a sarcastic, rude tone. I sighed and rolled my eyes.I started walking towards my locker, which was conveniently located nearby, and after entering my combination, I placed them in the locker.

"What are you doing?" "You're supposed to walk around with them." He stated it matter-of-factly.

"I'm not walking around with these flowers; everyone's going to stare."

"That's sort of the point." He grabbed the flowers and handed them to me. I shook my head.

"Just take them with you." He begged.

"And what if I don't?" I tried pushing his buttons. He pressed his lips together.

"Don't test me, Mila." His raspy voice whispered near my ear. He took a step back before slipping away. He walked away with a smirk.

I sighed and slammed the locker door shut, clutching the bouquet in my hand. I couldn't believe I was doing this, and all because of a stupid, cracked phone.

***

I had spent the entire day holding the bouquet and receiving strange looks, with girls on the other end being supportive and even mentioning how they wished their man would do the same and give them roses. I always responded by saying I was lucky, but only if they knew he wasn't even mine to begin with and this was a front.

It was getting close to the end of lunch, and I stood near my locker, retrieving some worksheets for my next class, when I noticed Enzo approaching me.

"He got you roses?" He asked, and I nodded.

"How much longer is this even going to last?" I shrugged, more because I didn't know when this deal would end.

"I'm not sure," I said truthfully. I had finished rummaging through my locker when I noticed Jade and Arlo walking down the same hallway, hands intertwined. Jade's enraged eyes were drawn to my hands and the flowers I was holding. Her lips twitched, curling into a frown. I didn't expect her to walk over to me, dragging Arlo along with her.

"Hey Mila, we didn't get to talk much on Saturday, and I just wanted to congratulate you." "You must be overjoyed to have a new sibling on the way." In a high-pitched tone, she spoke amusingly.

"Thank you so much." I smiled back at her, twirling the flowers in my hand. Her eyes widened in surprise at my reaction. I wasn't going to let her see how her words affected me yet again. That's what she wanted.