part 40

I sat on the swing set, and the cold air brushed against my skin, causing goosebumps. I looked down at my phone and realized how late it was. It was midnight.

I twisted the ends of my bracelet as I looked down. I sighed as I placed my feet on the ground. I looked around the park, taking in the scenery around me, before finally walking back home. I walked past the fence and through the gate until I reached the sidewalk, where I began walking steadily until I reached the house and walked in.

When I finally made it inside, I went straight upstairs to my room and kicked my shoes off near the door. I took off my clothes and changed into something more comfortable. I removed my hoodie to reveal a simple white t-shirt underneath, then took off my jeans and put on a pair of black shorts. I quickly exited my room and entered the bathroom, washing my face and brushing my teeth. I walked out to return to my room.

I lifted the blankets off my bed and hopped into bed. I lay there with my head on my pillow, tossing and turning to the other side as I felt a pit in my chest. This went on for the next 30 minutes as I tried to force myself to fall asleep; after all, I had a long day ahead of me in just a few hours.

It was only a matter of seconds before I passed out as a wave of tiredness washed over me. But as I drifted off, I heard a pounding sound coming from my window. I didn't need to ask who it was. I knew who it was, but the thought only sent nerves through my stomach; I didn't want to see him. After a second, another knock came through. I dragged myself out of bed, tentatively pulling the curtains open. I slid the window open.

"Mila," he said loudly. I batted my eyes up, finally meeting him as I stepped back, allowing him to enter the room.

"Can I help you?"

My tone was harsh as I crossed my arms around my chest.

"I need you to hear me."

Nico paused, unable to find the right words. He shook his head and looked down before finally parting his lips.

With bloodshot eyes, he took a deep breath and said, "I didn't sleep with her."

I kept my composure. I could have screamed and shouted at him, but I didn't. I just couldn't force it out of me. I swallowed the lump in my throat, struggling to get the words out. "Then why was she there?" I questioned. He looked down at me before lowering his gaze to his hands.

"Jade was my best friend," He confessed.

I raised an eyebrow, knowing there was a history between Jade and Nico but not knowing the extent of it.

"When my mother died, Jade was there. She had lost her dad, and we shared losing a parent in common. "We had this tradition that on my mother's death anniversary, we'd go to the cemetery and leave flowers on both of our parents' graves."

"I let her in because I thought she was here to carry on with our tradition because even though we stopped being friends, she always stuck to her word, but... she showed up drunk and high. I tried to help her, but as she rested in the guest room to sober up, she mistook my kindness for an invitation to something more."

I couldn't help but doubt him, and with the way our relationship started with a lie, I saw the irony. Maybe this was also a lie.

I focused my attention back on his words.

"But I promise you, Mila, with my entire heart and soul, I didn't do a single thing with her." He confessed

I took in his words, my gaze fixed on his blue orbs, as he explained how her underwear ended up in his room. 

"Hope you're not regretting what you did." The message Jade had sent started to make a lot more sense. As I processed everything, I rubbed my brow, stressed out.

I had never seen Nico so distraught as he tried to prove his innocence, and after hearing his explanation, I wasn't sure what to think or believe. I had gone through so much heartbreak as I dealt with my feelings for Nico; it became clear that nothing for us seemed to come easy, and I could only imagine how much harder it would get if we continued.

The trust that we built was fading away.

It didn't take a genius to know that a relationship without a solid foundation of trust was only doomed to end, and I don't think I could put my heart through that again.

As difficult as it was, I knew what I had to do.

"Thank you for clearing everything up," I admitted aloud.

"But—" I stammered my words. "I can't keep doing this." Before he could ask "why?" I answered it for him.

"I love you," I began to feel my eyes gloss, "but I know I deserve better than doubting my self-worth, wondering if I'll ever be enough, I won't be a second choice to Jade, and most of all... I think you need to figure yourself out." He nodded reluctantly; his gaze fixed on the ground.

"So, this is it?"

I hesitantly nodded. "This is it," I confirmed.

Despite his fear of expressing emotion, his bloodshot eyes shed a tear.

I overcame my fears and stood my ground. As he turned away, his eyes darkened, and he became cold. He couldn't look me in the eye anymore.

He walked past me silently until he reached the window. He opened the window and stepped outside. For a brief moment, he returned my gaze as he stood on the branch.

I gave him a pained smile as I closed the curtains and window on him for what seemed like the last time. I took a deep breath as I sat on my bed, struggling to sleep more than ever as I battled my thoughts. Had I made the right decision?