part 7

I rested in bed, ready to sleep under my soft covers. As exhaustion set in, I was ready for the day to be over. While I set my alarms for the morning, my thumb grazed over and clicked on Enzo's message.

I felt terrible knowing I had ignored him for the entire day, but I wasn't ready to face my problems. A part of me hoped that by not bringing it up at all, the problem would simply disappear on its own. I considered texting him, but in the end, I just put my phone on my nightstand and got ready to go to sleep.

My eyes drooped, and I knew I'd drift off and fall into a deep slumber at any moment. I had closed my eyes for about thirty seconds, getting comfortable in my sheets, when a loud bang struck my window. I jerked awake and opened my eyes as soon as I heard the noise.

It was midnight, and if there was anyone I knew who enjoyed jumping out that window late at night, it was Enzo. I cracked a half-smile at the thought of him being here.

I jumped out of bed and pushed the gray curtains to one side to open the window. When I did, I opened the window. Since it was so dark, I could only make out his silhouette. When he jumped through, he stumbled a little and finally landed on the floor of my room.

"Enzo, what are you-" When he raised his hands and tugged on his black hood, I cut my sentence short.

I finally got a good look at his face, and my smile faded. When I noticed the wavy hair and the soft blue eyes, I realized it wasn't the Valore brother I had been expecting; Nico was there at midnight.

" Nico?!" I shouted in a whisper. After all, we weren't exactly close, and I wouldn't even call him a friend, let alone an acquaintance; seeing him at my house late at night was strange and alarming.

He remained silent but started to scan my room and the empty walls. Only two weeks had passed since I had moved in, but I still didn't feel like decorating, especially when I knew I wouldn't be staying long. He approached my white desk and took the book I had read the day Nico and I were kicked out of the library. I went some day after school when the old lady wasn't there and checked it out.

He opened the book to where I had placed my sticky note. Before he could read it, I snatched the book from his hands.

He opened the book to the spot where I had stuck my sticky note, but I snatched it away from him before he could read it.

As my patience grew thin, I yelled.

"Nico, why are you here?"

"I can't pay a visit to my neighbor." He smirked. I wanted to slap him across the face for that smirk.

"I just assumed you'd be at home sulking after seeing Jade and Arlo," I said. I told him as I crossed my arms and gave him a death stare. My words had no effect, even when I mentioned their names.

I don't sulk.

"I get even." I raised an eyebrow, amused by his sudden mood change. He took his cracked phone out of the pockets of his gray sweatpants and gently waved it around.

You promised to do anything to make up for damaging my phone, right? He added emphasis when he said, "Anything." I nodded while giving him a puzzled look.

"Yeah..." I trailed off, unsure if I was going to like whatever he was about to say.

"Well, I know how you can make it up to me." I could now smell his wood, like scented cologne, as he took a step closer.

"How?" I scrunched my brows and held my breath, afraid of what he was going to say.

"Date me," he said in a hushed tone.