part 11

I got out of bed in the morning, feeling a little better, and dressed for school. My cough remained, but my fever had calmed down.

I was dressed and had just finished brushing my hair and applying makeup. I went downstairs and saw Dan sitting at the kitchen table with Alex next to him.

"Good morning!" exclaimed Alex excitedly. I responded with the same enthusiasm and said, "Good morning." back.

With a little more time on my hands, I served myself cereal and began eating my breakfast.

I finished my breakfast and placed it in the sink. I quickly washed it and walked over to the chair I was sitting in, where I picked up the backpack that I had set down.

I opened the front door and walked across the yard to Nico's parked car. I stood patiently next to it until I had the bright idea of hiding in the back. I yanked on the door, and thankfully, the car door had been left unlocked. Stupid boy.

Two minutes later, as I waited patiently in the back seat, I heard Nico open the car door and get into his seat.

He started the car and was about to shift gears when I appeared from behind him.

"Boo!" I yelled loudly, causing him to gasp and jolt away. I noticed his terrified expression and how quickly he began breathing.

"What the fuck?" He cursed out loud, which caused me to laugh.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" He yelled, his hand now on his chest.

"That's payback for making me walk yesterday," I explained matter-of-factly. "And... for lying about your grandmother." He paused his labored breathing and looked me dead in the eyes, then narrowed them with a scoff.

"You know, all of that could have been avoided if you hadn't posted about my ass."

"I didn't post anything." I defended myself.

"Yeah, right," he mumbled.

"Do you want to argue about it some more, or do you want to get to school?" I asked, changing the subject.

He kept quiet and reversed out of his driveway.

I stayed in the backseat and buckled up as we drove to school in silence.

***

When we arrived, I went straight to my first class, which was on the art side of the building. It was the only exciting part of my day where I wasn't stuck with notes or meaningless presentations. After Art, I moved on to English, where the teacher sat the entire time and assigned us to read a few chapters for the class period. I also couldn't complain much because most of the work was simple; it was just the laziness in me that didn't want to do anything.

I read through the old, torn-up book and finished the worksheet that came with it before the bell rang.

I quickly turned it in and began packing my belongings. I stood up and began walking out of the classroom. I stopped near my locker and left my book inside, trailing behind the many students on their way to lunch. When I closed it, I looked to my right and saw Nico walking in my direction.

He approached me with a big smile and kissed me on the cheek. I was taken aback by his way of greeting me, but I didn't react because I knew he was being nice and lovey-dovey for a reason. I should have known because when he took a step back, I noticed Jade approaching us. She was alone and tried her best to ignore us, but her attention kept lingering on both of us.

In a hurry, Nico grabbed my arm and pulled me along with him. We came to a halt near this dark door, and Nico opened it for me and led me inside.

When I first walked in, I caught a whiff of lemon-scented cleaning products, and after my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I noticed a bright yellow mop bucket.