part 23

After Jade confronted me about wanting to expose me, I returned to my table, took a seat, sipped my drink, and waited as time passed.

Wendy came out shortly after 9 p.m. with a large box of cake, walking over to Dan and placing it on the table he sat at.

Wendy snuck back inside the house while several guests looked around for the lighter to light the candles. After about thirty seconds, she nervously walked out, holding a white gift box with a silver bow on top.

I sat in the very back, listening to them sing him a happy birthday. Some would say I was a bitter person, but I was only fair. Why should I sing for a man who hasn't ever celebrated one of my birthdays?

Wendy walked over and kissed his head as he blew out his candle."Open this."

"Now?" She nodded and handed him the gift box, which he took from her grasp.

Wendy's nervous expression softened as he removed the lid. Dan's eyes widened as he reached inside and pulled out a pregnancy test, causing his mouth to gape open and then contort into a broad smile.

When he pulled a white baby onesie from the box, the gasps and cheers became even louder.

"We're having a baby!" Wendy finally said, clapping her hands together.

Dan stood up from his chair and walked over to Wendy, kissing her on the cheek.

"Woohoo."

"Congrats!" Some people shouted.

"You're going to have two children!" The couple's words stung deeply. Dan already had two kids.

I was at a loss for words when I heard the news. I stood up from my chair and walked back inside the house as my eyes began to water. I needed to leave and get my mind off everything that happened today. I grabbed a few items from the kitchen before heading out the front door.

I had no idea where I was going, but I just needed to get away. Away from all of this.

***

It had been hours since I had left, and I had downed the small travel-sized bottle of tequila I had found in the kitchen rather quickly, sipping on it as I sat on the playground swing near the neighborhood park.

As the night grew colder, I felt the cold breeze on my legs and arms, and it only got worse as it got late.

I could feel the hairs on my body standing up from how cold I was, and it didn't help that my arms were bare, covered by nothing, and completely exposed to the cold, chilling air that surrounded me.

I wobbled up and planted my feet on the hard cedar-bark floor. As I made my way over to the cement and slowly passed by the tables, I leaned up, feeling my head pound and my view sway. I closed my eyes and sighed, feeling pain shoot through my head. It was all coming from the tiny bottle of tequila, and when I turned to look at it again with my vision blurred, I realized that it wasn't the cheap knock of tequila but the expensive and authentic kind. The kind that did its job of getting you tipsy

I slowly began to move my legs, attempting to walk straight. I gathered myself after a brief struggle. I made my way to the park's entrance, kicked open the newly installed gate, and got out. I knew I couldn't walk around the streets all night. I had to return home. At least my drunken self was aware of that and wasn't being so reckless.

I was walking down this street when I noticed bright headlights in my direction. I squinted my eyes as the bright lights invaded my vision. When the car started slowing down, I got a strange feeling. It was now midnight, and I was walking alone in the dark. When I tried to pick up the pace, I heard a honk from the car. Afraid to encounter whoever this person was, I began to pick up my pace. I had to get home right away.