part 35

It had been an hour since I had left Enzo's house, and as time passed, I got out of bed, walked to the bathroom, and washed my face and teeth before going to bed.

As I walked out of the restroom, I patted my face with a face towel and placed it on the countertop before returning to my room.

As I was removing random clothes from my bed, I reached forward and grabbed them before setting them aside and arranging them inside my closet. A low knock echoed on the glass as I tried to fix everything and hang my belongings.

I jerked my head to the window, where another knock came. Setting a shirt aside, I dropped everything in my hand and walked to the window, moving the curtain aside, and saw a silhouette. In the darkness, it was difficult to see who it was, but my mind narrowed it down to two people. My suspicions were confirmed when I unlocked the window and slid it open to reveal Nico dressed in a black hoodie with wavy curls escaping from his hood.

"What are you doing here?" I muttered.

He motioned for me to follow him as he stood near the tree. I shook my head as he whispered back, "Come."

"I'm not doing that." I shut the window and curtains behind him.

I tilted my head against the window, feeling a wave of guilt wash over me. Was I being rude? All I wanted was to guard my heart and save myself from further heartbreak, so if that meant being a bitch toward him, then it felt as if my actions were in some way justified.

Deep down, I wasn't satisfied with it, and as I paced around, the guilt started to consume me until I finally opened the window again. When I noticed he was still there, about to jump from the tree, I called out to him. "Nico." He landed on his feet on the grass and raised his head to look at me.

"Wait." I raised my finger in the air. I moved away from the window, closing it and reaching into my closet, pulling out the first sweatshirt I saw as I hurriedly slipped on my slides.

After putting on the sweater and zipping it halfway, I left my room and went downstairs to the back door. By the time I arrived, he was leaning against a thick tree, his head tilted as he looked down at his phone. I just stood there. I felt his gaze burn into me as I looked at him softly through my eyes.

He extended his hand, and I reluctantly placed my hand into his, our hands meshing into a hold as he led the way, cutting through the grass and making it to his car, where he opened my car door.

I buckled myself into the passenger seat, crossing my arms around my chest.

Nico rummaged through the car console for something. "Here." He finally said this as he took out a black bandana.

"What?" As he tossed the fabric at me, I asked.

"Put it on." He responded.

"I'm not-"

I exclaimed, shaking my head. Nico exhaled a sigh. "Trust me."

I huffed and rolled my eyes before folding the bandana and tying it around my head. I raised it so I could see.

When I felt a hand in front of me, Nico's hand drew it down so I couldn't see. I sat in the passenger seat, waiting for our arrival, wherever that might be. We drove in silence, with the only sound coming from the faint radio station.

***

As the car drove over gravel, it came to a halt, and the sound of Nico changing gears echoed as the engine shut off.

As I rushed my hands to the bandana, he called out "no," adjusting it back on.

I heard him move from his seat and open his car door, and then I heard the clicking sound and felt the sudden fresh air hit my skin as he opened my door.