part 18

It was now Thursday morning, and I had gotten up early to prepare for school and make sure I had packed everything the night before. I opened my suitcase and stuffed a few more shirts into it, knowing that it was better to be prepared and overpack than to be without anything to wear.

I stuffed my hairbrush, toothbrush, charger, and even the small items I forgot about until the last minute.

I grabbed my coat and zipped it up, sticking my arm through one side and then the other before zipping up my dark navy sweater. I picked up my phone from my vanity desk and saw that Enzo had sent me a text.

Enzo: I'm driving us to school today. Leave in five minutes.

I checked the message and saw that he had sent it three minutes ago, leaving me with two minutes to eat breakfast and leave the house. I walked downstairs, dragging my suitcase with me. I made it downstairs and set the bag down.

I was watching Alex eat his breakfast at the dining table when his eyes widened like saucers, and he quickly chewed his cereal to speak up.

"Are you leaving?" When Alex cried out, I went to the dining table and grabbed a few of his cookies that he had on a napkin.

"Yes, buddy,"

"For good? " His eyes fell as he began to feel sad. "Oh no, buddy, I'm going on that field trip." "Remember?''

"Oh–"

"I'll be back soon."

"Ok. That's great. as long as you come back." I nodded and grabbed an orange from the fruit basket, quickly peeling it and eating it. I knew it had been longer than 5 minutes, but Enzo was always bad at estimating. I was expecting some honking, but I remembered Enzo was driving, so I checked my phone and found an incoming call from Enzo.

"Hey, if you're not out in 2 minutes, I'm leaving you here."

"Chill out. I'm heading out now," I told him quickly before ending the call.

"OK, Alex, I'm leaving now." I went over to him and gave him a quick shoulder hug.

"Wait, do you want me to get dad and mom to say goodbye?" He pointed upstairs.

"No, it's fine." The less I saw them, the better.

"Just tell them I left," I said.

"Got it." I quickly washed my hands under the faucet to remove the sticky orange feeling from my fingers, then walked to my blue suitcase, pulling out the handle as I walked out the door. I gave one last wave before closing the door.

I looked to my right and saw the car with the trunk open. I noticed Enzo walking back inside the house from his car. As he did so, I walked down the driveway to the sidewalk and then onto the pavement to their driveway. I was finally at the back of Enzo's white car.

I noticed Enzo and Nico walking out the door.

"OK, guys, we need to get moving!" Enzo exclaimed eagerly as he drew his large duffel bag and suitcase inside.

Nico and I exchanged raised eyebrows. "Trips make him nervous," Nico remarked.

"No, they do not." Enzo argued back.

"Yes, they do; in fact, the nerves give you diarrhea days in advance." Enzo scoffed as he grabbed the rest of his brother's luggage, which was just a black suitcase. Fortunately, by stuffing everything tightly and stacking things, we were able to get everything to fit perfectly.

"OK, but you do realize we leave in the middle of the day, and we still have plenty of time." I told Enzo, who was too preoccupied with getting there on time to notice what I was saying.