part 22

I never received an apology. I hadn't spoken with Nico in four days, since the night he blew up on me on the rooftop.

I had been ignoring him and giving him the silent treatment since then—not that he bothered to start a conversation with me.

He made things easier by skipping school, but that only meant I'd have to walk.

As a result, I continued to walk to school.

While I distanced myself from Nico, I concentrated on myself and even found a job. I worked at Cafe Rose. a small and dainty shop with delicious coffee and baked goods. Tory had convinced me to apply, and after a brief interview with the owner, I was hired. I was given my apron and was ready to begin working and making money. Now most of my days consisted of working at the cafe.

***

I awoke early in the morning to the sound of heavy footsteps pacing back and forth. I sat in bed for a good ten minutes after opening my eyes before walking over to the bathroom and quickly brushing my teeth and washing my face before rushing downstairs.

I noticed a slew of colorful balloons scattered across the floor as I walked down the stairs. It was strange to see so many balloons on the floor.

When I looked to the far kitchen, I saw a lady with a brown clipboard talking with Wendy, who was dressed in her black silk bathroom, her blonde hair wrapped in curling rolls.As the lady walked over to the living room to continue blowing up balloons, she nodded.

"Hey Mila," "Are you working today?" She finally asked, and I shook my head no.

"Oh." I noticed a look of disappointment on her face, which she quickly wiped away. "What exactly is going on?" I asked.

Before she could respond, I heard the office door open, and Dan walked out. I heard Alex coming down the stairs from the other side. As he hurried down the stairs, I noticed a smile on his face.

"Happy Birthday!" He yelled as he walked over to Dan and squeezed him into a hug. Dan ruffled Alex's dirty blonde hair as he smiled.

"Thank you!" It was April 30th, which only meant one thing. Dan's birthday.

"I have to continue getting ready," Wendy called out.

Wendy walked away, returning to her room upstairs, leaving Alex, Dan, and me in the kitchen. I continued to grab the cereal box and a bowl. I had no intention of wishing him a happy birthday, and he knew it when I continued to ignore him and go about my business. Ignoring the conversation, he and Alex had about the party later today

After finishing my breakfast and washing my bowl, I went upstairs and locked myself in for the rest of the day.

I started watching TV on my phone right away. To me, today felt like any other weekend spent locked in my room. I just hoped it stayed that way. I didn't have many options when it came to leaving. Tory was at work, Enzo was with his soccer friends, I wasn't close to Mason, and Nico and I weren't even on speaking terms. Yet even if we were, he wasn't someone I considered a friend and would willingly spend time with. I huffed as I became bored and moved on to the next episode. Sometime after 4, I heard a faint knock on my door.

"Come in." I called out. The door swung open, and in walked Alex, dressed in black cargo shorts and a blue dress shirt. "The party is starting soon, and my mom says we should go downstairs soon." He repeated as he grabbed my brush and combed his hair to one side. "I'm not feeling well." He tilted his head before putting everything down and approaching me on his tiptoes, his hand on my forehead. "No fever,"

I smiled back at him. "I'm just a little tired, but I'll be down in a bit." As he walked out of my room, he nodded and said, "Great." I leaned back in my bed. Was it too late to make a getaway?