Epilogue i

I trudged through the airport with my two suitcases. As I continued walking around the airport, I struggled to keep up with how heavy they were. I proceeded to the baggage claim exit. I came to the end and made a quick turn to the right.

I was seconds away from stopping and pulling out my phone to call Dan when I saw him and returned his smile.

The blonde boy held a sign that caught my attention. "Welcome home!" it said in big letters.

"Mila," Alex said as he handed the sign to Dan and tackled me into a hug.

"Buddy." I returned the embrace.

"I missed you." He whispered.

"I did, too," I admitted, feeling guilty ever since I told him I was leaving town and would be back soon.

"All right, Alex, I think you're sucking all of her air," Dan exclaimed, laughing at his overly excited son.

I laughed, and Alex took a step back, his grin revealing his missing teeth.

"I'm glad you're back!" He repeated himself with a beam of joy on his face.

"I'm glad to be back." It wasn't a lie. I had reasons for returning.

We made it to the car after Dan took one of my suitcases and I dragged the carry-on. I looked for the black SUV when we arrived at the parking garage, and as a beep echoed, we made our way to it. I quickly stowed my belongings in the trunk and climbed into the passenger seat.

During the care ride, I spoke with Alex, who updated me on everything, from his little sister, who was now walking, to his school, and even mentioned his new friend.

"—and she lives next door!" He announced it as we approached the highway exit.

"Really?" "Who moved out?" I wondered if the old couple next door had finally moved out; they were the only ones whose house I remembered seeing on the market.

"She lives in the brick house right next door." My brows furrowed. The only house with brick was the Valore house.

I was left with many questions that I didn't bother asking, but as the car pulled into the driveway, I noticed the vehicles. I was expecting to see a black and white car, but it was nowhere in sight, replaced by a white minivan and toys scattered across the lawn.

The house had been sold. I thought to myself. which left me wondering if either of them were still in town. I couldn't deny that the thought of seeing Enzo or Nico had crossed my mind, but I guess that wasn't a possibility. They weren't here anymore.

I was completely consumed by my thoughts. I hadn't even realized the car had been parked, and Alex had already hopped out to help with the luggage. I quickly unbuckled myself and stepped out of the car.

I joined Alex and helped him carry the luggage up the driveway. Once near the doorstep, Dan opened the door, and I stepped in, looking at the house. The house looked exactly as I remembered it, except for the toys scattered on the floor.

"Mila!" Wendy's voice called out, and she emerged from the kitchen. When I looked down at her arms, I noticed she was holding Alice.

I smiled at her and looked at the brunette baby. She was the spitting image of Dan. Alice had his eyes and his hair, and she even had his smile.

"Mmm," she cooed as she extended her hands.

"Hello, Alice," I said softly as I pushed her bangs to the side to get a better look at her big eyes.

"I'm sorry for the mess, but with two kids, it's nearly impossible for me to keep it organized." Wendy apologized for the mess.

"Don't worry," I said with a nod. "It's not that bad." She chuckled and cast a glance over my shoulder at Dan. I stood there, watching as she handed him Alice and he carried her to the couch.

"So, how long are you staying in Emerson?" She spoke up, sparking conversation as she cleaned up the mess on the coffee table.

"I'm staying in Emerson for a week before heading to the city." I was only here for a short visit before heading west to finish off my degree.

"Well, let me tell you, if college is anything like I remember, it's going to be a lot of fun."

"I'm hoping so."

"All right, I took your bag upstairs!" Alex hollered as he stormed downstairs.

"Thanks!" I forced the words out as a yawn tried to escape.

"You must be exhausted." Dan commented as he caught my yawn, "You should rest."

"Yeah, you know the way upstairs." "It's the same room; most of your stuff is still there." My stuff was still here? I had expected the room to be cleared out and turned into a nursery, but it looked like that wasn't the case.

"I think I'll go upstairs and sleep," I said as my eyes grew drowsy.

I started walking toward the stairwell when Wendy's voice stopped me.

"Wait a minute." I raised an eyebrow as I watched Wendy walk over to the kitchen cabinet and pull something from one of the drawers.

"This is for you." As I reached forward and grabbed the white envelope, I tilted my head.

"It's been in this drawer since you left."

It seemed odd to me. Why would any mail be left for me?

I grabbed the white envelope and kept it close to me as I walked back upstairs to my room.

When I walked in, I was flooded with memories because everything seemed untouched and exactly as I had left it—the same bed sheets, pillows, vanity desk, and even the giant teddy bear in the corner of the floor. Nothing had changed; everything was still the same.

I set the envelope aside, intending to open it another day. I sat on my bed and lay down, allowing exhaustion to take over my body.

***

A/N: okayyyy but open the note........