part 6

It was now the day after. I had successfully escaped the house that morning after waking up early to avoid Dan, and I chose to walk to school rather than have Wendy drop me off.

When I arrived, it was just another boring and predictable day at school. The day flew by, and before I knew it, I was in my last class—Home Economics.

I walked in expecting Nico to take the seat next to me, but he never showed up. I did my part by turning in the wrinkled form.

The class was spent working on the second half of the project, doing the slides, and when the bell rang, I quickly packed my belongings and dashed to the school's main exit. I was relieved that school was over, but what came next was dreadful. There was no winning in this situation.

I finally made it home after a chilly, rainy walk, where I grabbed a few snacks from the pantry that belonged to Alex and carried them upstairs with me, where I stayed in my room, bored out of my mind.

Wendy and Alex had arrived home, and a total of 20 minutes followed as Dan pulled into the driveway. It was now time for dinner, but I didn't want to be in the same room as Dan.

"The food is getting cold," Alex rushed into my room, saying. I told him I wasn't hungry, but before he went downstairs, he took something out of his pocket and tossed me a piece of candy.

I smiled at him. If there was one person here who didn't cause my life any stress, it was Alex.

After he left, I picked up my phone to hear Enzo's frantic voice. After he urged me to come over, I peered downstairs as quietly as possible.

I saw Dan and Wendy cleaning up in the kitchen with their backs to me. I made my escape out the front door after softly descending the stairs and passed by them unnoticed.

I ran through Enzo's yard and up to their front door. I was about to knock when the door swung open wide. Enzo opened the door wearing gray sweatpants and a plain white t-shirt.

I smiled at him and rushed inside before anyone on the street could see me.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"So, what's the emergency?" I asked him. After all, the reason I was here so quickly was that Enzo called and said he needed major help.

"Um-" I looked at Enzo, who was scratching his head and turning red.

He motioned for me to follow him and led the way to the kitchen. As I stood near the black kitchen island, I noticed a jumble of flour, measuring cups, and bowls, as well as a lumpy dough. I got closer to the dough and noticed how crumbly and dry it was.

"I wanted to make a pizza, but I'm having trouble with the dough." I pressed my fingers into the dough, raised my eyes to Enzo, and laughed loudly.

"Could you help?" He begged, his voice sincere and desperate.

"Fine," I responded.

As he threw out his disastrous pizza dough, I assisted him by cleaning up the mess and wiping down the countertop. After washing my hands, I started preparing the pizza dough.

"Can you get the salt?" I asked. He went out to get the items I needed while I followed a recipe I found online.

I was about to add the second cup of flour to the bowl when he reached into the flour bag and pulled out some flour. He blew it in my face while laughing.

My eyes widened the moment the flour touched my face. I did the same thing, grabbing a handful of flour and throwing it at him.

" ENZO!" I yelled as he reached for more flour.