part 24

My hand felt cool and sticky. I moved my hand slowly after hearing a loud lick. When I heard the sound of chains clinging, I slowly opened my eyes. The light from the window entered my vision as I opened my eyes, as did the furry friend in front of me licking my hand.

"Bue." I retracted my hand, wiping it on the couch and shooing him away by tossing his stuffed animal across the room.

"You're awake!" As Enzo walked down the stairs, I groaned and covered my ears with my hands.

"Shhh...." I let my hands fall.

"Why—how am I here?" I asked, sitting up straight and adjusting my ruffled shirt.

"I'm not sure Nico found you drunk on the doorstep."

Nico? Slowly, events from the previous night began to trickle in and consume my mind.

Making it to the pier, my crying session, and the kiss we shared. There was something else. I yawned, scrunching my face and tasting something bitter. How could I forget? I remembered throwing up after our kiss. I closed my eyes, embarrassed by everything.

"Is he here?" I asked abruptly as I rose from the couch, stretching my arms.

"Oh, Nico? He left almost immediately after letting you in." He wasn't here? I felt relieved that he wasn't here to mock me about the kiss. Why did I have to go in for a kiss? I felt stupid and, most of all, embarrassed.

"As much as I'd like to talk, I really need to get home." Enzo nodded as he sat on the couch, rubbing Blue's belly.

"Sure," he said. I gave him a half smile before walking to the front door, heading down the driveway, and cutting through the grass to make it to the front doorstep. When I took out my phone, I discovered even more missed calls, some from Dan and the rest from Wendy.When I looked at the clock and saw that it was 8 a.m. on a Sunday, I knew that everyone in the house would be asleep in bed.

I opened the door and took a step forward after turning the knob.

"She's here." When I heard a voice, I turned to see Dan on the phone.

"Where were you?" Wendy asked as they sat up from the couch, both dressed in last night's outfit.

"We have been waiting for you all night." Dan added. His brows creased as his veins popped out from his forehead.I stood silent before pressing my lips together and crossing my arms.

"So where were you?""I bet she was with that guy Jade was talking about," Wendy said quietly to Dan.

My stoic face fell. What exactly had she said?"Don't worry about it.""No, we'll worry about it when you're whoring around and showing up practically naked," Wendy spoke up as her gaze focused on my tank top strap, which was slowly slipping down.

As I tried not to laugh, my face creased into a smirk. Her sweet demeanor faded, replaced by rage, mainly because the focus had shifted from her to me.

"That's funny coming from you." I fummed out as I looked her up and down. "Let me remind you, you're not my fucking mother," I yelled out, to which I looked over to Dan. "And you're nothing but a person I happen to share DNA with; other than that, you have no right telling me what I can and can't do."Keeping my cool, I shook my head slowly while smiling."Like it or not, you're stuck with me." I was tired of following their rules and forcing myself to conform to their world. For what? to be mocked at no cost. It ended here.I turned away from them and began to stomp up the stairs and head into my room.

It was where I spent the majority of the day in my room, only leaving to get food. I knew Wendy and Dan had spoken over my outburst, knowing deep down that they were in a position where nothing they did could stop me. And they were starting to accept it by not bringing it up again.