part 8

A knock on my window jolted me out of sleep and caused me to stir. I stood up and turned to see Nico jumping in through the open window.

"Why aren't you dressed?" He asked as he looked over my worn-out face and the warm fleece bottoms I was wearing. I rubbed my eyes and forced myself out of my sleepy daze as I looked down at Nico's uniform, a green jersey with his name and number written on it. My gaze was drawn lower, to his white shorts and high-ankle socks. It was strange seeing him in shorts after only seeing him in jeans and joggers.

I ignored his voice as I walked over to my drawer and pulled out a pair of denim jeans. I waved my jeans in the air while gripping them in my hand and looking at Nico. He cocked his brow.

I parted my lips. "Leave. I have to change."

He moved closer to me as he made his way to my door. I stopped him and took hold of his arm. "What do you think you're doing?" I resisted the urge to annoy Wendy, despite my desire to do so.

"Leaving." He said in a duh tone.

"Well, do it the way you came." I pointed to the window. He rolled his eyes, but after blocking the door, he walked towards the window. I gave him a quick, broad smile before shutting the window and drawing the curtains.

I grabbed my jeans and changed out of my fleece bottoms after he left. I looked at my white shirt from earlier and decided to keep it. I grabbed the sweater from my chair and opened the door to my room, heading downstairs.

Wendy was sitting in the living room with her hand over her head, rubbing her temples. Dan had yet to arrive.

"Where are you going?" She questioned.

"Oh, I'm just hanging out with friends."

Wendy nodded her head in approval. "Don't stay out too late."

"Yeah. I mumbled and nodded. I knew it was for me when I heard sudden honking noises throughout the entire neighborhood.

I opened the front door and headed to the driveway. As I stood there in the cold, I narrowed my eyes at him. I pulled the car door open and sat down quickly, buckling myself in a hurry as he pulled out of the driveway.

I looked at the clock on the dashboard and saw that the game would begin in 6 minutes. I could tell he was eager to arrive on time. But I should have known that with Nico as the driver, the 8-minute drive to school would have been cut in half. When we arrived at school, instead of parking in front of the main building, he parked on the side near the school field.

I took a look at the parking lot and noticed how crowded it was. I never really attended school events back home, so I wasn't sure what to anticipate from today.

I opened the car door, and Nico followed suit, except he opened the back seat doors and took his black duffel bag. I became nervous as I followed behind.

"Ready?" My eyes widened, and I looked at home with uncertainty.

I passed through the gates and followed Nico, who had placed his duffel bag on the first bench. I sat behind him on the second bench and waited for the game to begin.

Raising my eyes to his face, I remained fixated on him until he looked over at me. "So, what's the plan?"

"Don't worry, I've got it covered." That was the last thing he said before putting on his cleats.

As I looked around, I noticed some cheerleaders walking toward the field. The crowd was only growing bigger as more and more people showed up.

I sprang up from my seat, feeling knots in my stomach as I began to feel the pressure. As I approached the metal gate, I decided to leave rather than carry out this stupid plan.