154

Hardin

"Charlie, would you mind putting my daughter down for a minute and helping me with breakfast?" I ask rather irritably. I know that tonight's their prom night and that they're all excited, but seeing them canoodle, twenty four/ seven, quite frankly makes me want to blow my brains out. "Sure thing, Mr Scott." The youngster chimes enthusiastically and I subconsciously mock his words. Sure thing Mr Scott.. bootlicker.

With that, Emery stalks off into the sitting room, and Charlie boy joins me in the kitchen. I regret even asking for his help when he begins to remove the bacon from the pan when it's nowhere near done. "What are you doing, boy?" I glare at him in disgust as he places each piece into a glass container. "A defibrillator will get that bacon oinking again!" I scold him, before pouring it back into the pan for another 3 minutes, at least. "Just set the table." I order him and he pettily rolls his eyes at me before doing so.

I can't give everybody food poisoning on a day like today, especially when we have family over. The Washington bunch, also known as my father, Karen and Abby arrived last night, along with our niece Addy, her partner Austin and baby Ava. Tessa insisted that Landon and Nora stayed the night too. I have no idea why, they live literally a few streets away, but i guess it meant that we could all be together under one roof for the big celebration that is Saffron and Miller's first birthday.

It blows my fucking mind to think that they turn one today and it has been one whole year since they came into this world, eight weeks early, but absolutely perfect. They completed our family, that's for sure and today is all about them. Well, Emery and Charlie too. With Charlie graduating a year early, he was Invited to the senior prom, the last big event before he makes the move for college. Of course, he did one of those awful 'promposals' in a bid to bring Emery as his plus one.

Isn't it ironic? Kids usually go with the whole 'promposal' thing to make a mockery of marriage proposals, yet this kid already did that at the grand old age of sixteen. "Will you go to prom with me?" .. like mate, you already asked her to be your wife. Who else are you going to take? The girl next door?

Anyway, Tessa used her party planning skills to arrange a little get together to celebrate. My father and Karen were delighted, as they always are at the thought of a family gathering, whereas my sister was just pleased to have a few days away from work. Typical Abby. I always said that she's just a female version of myself.

We kept Addy's arrival a surprise, and seeing Emery's face when she walked through the door was exactly what we were hoping for. Before Addy moved to Washington for her law degree, her and Emery were inseparable. They weren't only cousins, but they were best friends and not having Addy around to confide in has been challenging for our girl, especially with everything that's happened lately. So in a sly but sweet gesture, we told Emery that Addy and Austin couldn't make it. I made up some sketchy story about Ava having a ballet recital. I don't know what I was thinking! How does a six month old attend a fucking ballet recital? Can't walk, but can pirouette around the room. It makes sense, Hardin.

Anyway, it worked out for the best, because somehow, Emery truly believed that Addy couldn't make it. In fact, she fully lost it when she clocked eyes on her. She bawled her eyes out, making a sound so high pitched that only dogs could hear. I smirk to myself as I recall the moment, whilst stacking some pancakes into a glass dish.

I'm thankful that the Washington clan arrived late last night. It meant that they'd spend a little longer in bed this morning, giving me enough time to cook breakfast for them. Tessa insisted that I cooked today. She gave a whole speech, trying to butter me up about how much she loves my cooking. I knew that she was only doing it because she couldn't be arsed doing it herself, but anything to make her happy, I suppose.