71

"You found an apartment? Were you looking for one?" I couldn't tell if she was mad or not. "No, ma. I saw that the apartment building close to the school had vacant units, and I just went to check it out. That's when I got the idea. I love staying here, ma, but I've never had a place of my own. I just... I don't know... Please don't be mad. I won't do it if you do t want me to."

"Thandi. Stop. Calm down. Look at me. Do I look mad?" I looked at her and was surprised by the comforting smile on her face. "You're not mad?" I asked, and she shook her head. "Why would I be mad? I'm extremely happy for you. You're growing, Princess. At some point, you were going to have to get out of my house anyway. I thought I would have to kick you out." Both of us laughed. "This is good. If I could, I would keep you with me and protect you forever, but I know that's not how it works. So if you feel you are ready to take this step, I'll support you one hundred percent."

I ran up to her and hugged her. "Thank you, Ma." We held each other tightly. "I obviously need to see this place first."

I took her to see it the very next day. She loved it, and within a few days, I signed a rental agreement. I, however, had zero furniture. While I was waiting for everything to be finalized and tried to decide what I wanted to do with all the space I had. The first thing I bought was a bed because I could definitely still decide on everything else while I moved, but I needed a bed.

I was obsessed with white spaces, and I knew I wanted to be one of those girls with the white houses, but for now, I only needed a bed and kitchen supplies. I was moved in within a couple of days. Ma helped me make my bed, and we made dinner together. We ate at the barstools by my kitchen island while the boys took advantage of the big empty space to run around in. That night, I went to sleep in my own bed, in my own apartment.

I was done with school, and I had my certificates. There was a small ceremony but I opted not to go. I still spent a lot of time at Ma's house. She was helping me choose furniture. I had gotten my lounge and bedroom sorted out. We were still trying to figure out what to do with the sunroom, tv room, and dining room. I thought choosing furniture would be easy. It definitely wasn't, so I was convinced decor would be worse. The reoccurring theme was black and white. Yes, it might be boring for some, but I loved it.

My doorbell rang as I was opening a few boxes of kitchenware. I answered. "It's me, princess. I have a guest with me." A guest. "Okay? I'll buzz you in." A guest? Why would she bring a guest? I opened the door just as they stepped out of the elevator. "You got your own apartment and thought you were going to keep it from me?" MaKhumalo asked as she stepped out of the elevator. I greeted her, and she came in for a tour. Most of the rooms were empty but she loved it.

"This place is amazing. The view of the city from the balcony is amazing." We sat and had tea and biscuits. "I don't mean to ruin a good time, but Senzo has been asking about you." I didn't want to be childish and roll my eyes, so I just didn't react. "What does he want?" I really didn't want to even think about it, but I guess at some point I would have to face him. "He asked how you were, and I said I didn't know, but he could tell I was lying. He is no longer in rehab, but he does regular therapy, and he wanted you to join a session." That's when I rolled my eyes. "Why would I do that?"

"Thandi, what is it that you want?" I was taken aback by her question. So was Ma. "If you don't want to be in this marriage anymore, you should make arrangements for divorce. But if you still love your husband, you're going to have to work on your marriage. You can't ignore the fact that you have a husband for the rest of your life." She left after that, and Ma stood there awkwardly. She was just staring at me.

"She's right, you know. Do you know what you want to do?" I shook my head. "That's okay. I suggest at least going to the therapy session. See how it goes. See how he is and then make up your mind. I don't condone any of his actions, but I know there was real love there. Maybe you can work it out and if you don't that's okay too."