42

We drove home in silence. I didn't know what to think. This whole situation was just crazy. We got to the village but didn't drive home. She drove to an unfinished house and texted on her phone. "Get MaMlambo's things we set aside. She says she going to come out now." I got her bags and MaKhumalo also got out of the car.

"What's all of this?" She asked shocked. "It's from your husband. Even though you treated him so badly he doesn't want his wife and child to starve." Her mother came out and stood by their door. She was shocked. She looked at the grocery bags and her lip trembled. "Why?" She asked MaKhumalo. "Because his a decent human being and if you ever try and mistreat him again you'll have me to deal with." Whoa! There's that side of MaKhumalo I was just a little bit terrified of.

"Can I ask you a question?" MaKhumalo just hummed in response. "Why is he not leaving me? I've never been good to him and I know he doesn't love me." MaMlambo asked and this is the first time I've ever seen her doubt herself. MaKhumalo rolled her eyes. "I can give you three reasons and they have nothing to do with you. First, he doesn't believe in divorce. Second, he has a public image to maintain. Third, he loves his children. You need to stop being a hindrance to this family. Once you stop trying to take over and destroy our home, you might just get what you're fighting so hard for."

We helped to carry in the bags. I wanted to see the baby but she was sleeping and we needed to get back. "Tomorrow we're all going to buy traditional clothes for Saturday. We'll come pick you up. Send me the others numbers so we can arrange a time." We said goodbye and went back to the homestead and packed away everything we bought.

"Hello my beautiful wives." Senzo said and gave us each a kiss on the cheek."Its been a long day and we have a lot to discuss." We walked to where MaKhumalo was staying.

"This morning the Cele's and the Gumede's came to pay their fine. So that's sorted out. As we know the ceremony is in full swing and more family is arriving. They started speaking about sharing living spaces because everyone won't fit in so I suggested we go stay at MaCele's house. She's cleaned the place and says she'll be glad to let us stay the rest of our time there. Gogo's ceremony she has planned will take place on Saturday and then Sunday morning we'll do a cleansing. MaBhengu since you have been introduced to the ancestors yet you won't be part of the cleansing but you'll have to do one before our marriage."

I just needed this to be over and done with. I was starting to become homesick and all this family drama and negativity coming from the aunt's was going to start getting to me.

"MaBhengu ma and I had a quick informal discussion with your aunt. She says you haven't had your umemulo (coming of age) ceremony yet which has to be done before marriage." How the fuck was I going to do that? That ceremony is for virgins. "She was adamant that it will be done in two weeks time. This is where I will present the lobola letter and after reviewing the letter a date will be chosen. We know how tradition works but we're also planing ahead. So even though my family will get a formal reply then we've loosely agreed on the weekend after. Immediately after the negotiations on that very same day we will do the umembeso ceremony. Traditionally it is held the brides home. Your aunt says she's got it covered. If you weren't aware she's extremely excited and prepared for this. The week there after the final ceremony will be held. This is the umabo ceremony. We'll go into greater detail when we get back home and planning starts. We have a lot to do. We'll be leaving here first thing Monday morning so we can get started. One more thing MaBhengu. Your aunt is trying to get hold of you but she just getting your voicemail."

I knew she was and I was missing her. "My phone's charging point broke so I can't charge it." I almost never used my phone so it didn't really bother me. "MaBhengu." They both were surprised. "Why didn't you say something?" I shrugged. "I don't know. Fixing it would be expensive. I'll just use my old phone when we get back home."