11

I was confused, but there was absolutely no time to be confused because my aunt's inlaws arrived in their numbers. There were fourteen women on our doorstep, and they quickly came to take over the house.

My aunt's mother-in-law spoils her. In their family, boys were rare. In fact, Thabo was one of two boys. So every time my aunt gives birth, the whole family comes and spoils her. I usually end up sleeping in a random corner of the house.

I was woken up early by pots. Even earlier than I'm used to. I made a makeshift bed on the floor so my body was in pain. I took a shower and got dressed. I said goodbye to my aunt and went next door.

"You're early, and you look terrible." Ma laughed. "The in-laws have arrived." She laughed because she knew exactly what I was talking about. "Why don't you come sleep here. You know you're always welcome." I was contemplating it, but I didn't know what to do. "Come on. Senzo can sleep on the couch, and you can take his room."

"I don't know how I feel about kicking Bab'Senzo out of his room." Just as I said that, he came in. "What about me." I bowed my head. "I was just telling her you wouldn't mind sleeping on the couch if she slept here for a couple of days while their house is full." I didn't even want to look at him. I knew he would love the idea.

"No, I don't mind. As long as I'm home." He said nonchalantly. "Thandi, would you please make me a cup of coffee?" He asked and took a seat. "Yebo baba." I made his coffee and tea for everyone else. Senzo requested bacon and eggs, and everyone else ate their usual porridge and fruit.

"So what do you say about sleeping over?" Ma asked as I set the table for dinner. "I'll think about it, Ma." I said my goodbyes and went back home. I checked on my aunt and the boys. I ate and then finally got a chance to use that bathroom. The next morning, my whole body was in pain. I could hardly walk.

"Thandi, are you okay?" I nodded. "Don't lie to me. My aunt grabbed a water bottle from the fridge. Her mother-in-law was also there. "My back and neck hurts, but I'm fine." She sighed and kissed my cheek. "Sorry baby. Maybe we can get you a blowup mattress."

"MaRadebe offered to let me sleep there like last time." She gave me a weary look. "Do you want to?" I couldn't even shrug. "I don't know, but I can't work properly if I'm going to be sore. I don't know, Ma." She sighed. "Can I be honest with you?" I nodded but had to rub my neck immediately. "After what happened the other day, I don't want you sleeping there. I don't think it's safe, especially if that woman finds out."

I cleared my throat. "Okay, ma. I won't sleep there then." I agreed with her. I was just a little bit disappointed because I really did want to sleep there just to see what would happen, but I didn't want to stress my aunt out.

"I'm always so amazed at how obedient your niece is. You're a good mother, Makoti." Her mother-in-law said, and she thanked her. "Let me go tell my son to go buy a mattress. Your niece is right. She can't go to work hurting. Especially if she's looking after the elderly. Thabo!" She went to get him. "I'm going to go now. Luckily, it's Friday. Bye, ma." I kissed her cheek and went next door.

The whole morning, Bab'Dlamini was difficult. Not even Senzo could control him. My neck and back were killing me. "Are you okay?" Senzo and his mother came to the table for dinner. "Yebo, Baba. I'm fine." They looked worried and sat down. "So what do you say about sleeping over? I can tell your back is hurting." Ma said, and I put their utensils down.

"I spoke to my aunt, and she doesn't like the idea." Ma looked confused. "But you've slept here many times before. I don't understand." I wanted to tell her, but I kept it to myself. "Spit it out, Thandi. What's going on? I know you, and I know you're hiding something." I bit my lip. "After what happened the other day, she doesn't think it's a good idea for me to sleep over."

She sighed heavily. "Do you see now? Do you see what your wife has caused. Never have we had conflict with our neighbors. Thandi and Nthombi are like daughters to me. I take Nthombi's son's as my grandchildren now your wife has caused a rift in our relationship. Do you see what you've done." Ma was so upset she stormed off.

"I'm sorry." I said because I felt guilty. "It's not your fault." He went to go check on his mother, and I left. "How was work?" Ma asked when I walked into the kitchen. "MaRadebe asked about me sleeping over, and I might've mentioned you said no because of what happened the other day. Now she's upset. I need something to drink." I was looking for alcohol in the fridge, but there was nothing.

"Eat something. I'll massage your back before you go to sleep, and then you'll feel better. Thabo bought you a blowup mattress." A plate of food was put in front of me. "Here, baby. Eat." Her mother-in-law was being extremely nice to me. Usually, she doesn't really interact with me.

"Is my father coming to see the baby?" She shook her head. "No, he says he'll come when we get married." I rolled my eyes. I thought he would at least use it as an excuse to check up on me.

"Ma!" Thabo ran into the kitchen. "It's Sethu. She's at your house." He said, holding the phones speaker closed. "Tell her I'm away with the church."
"I already did she doesn't believe me." I don't understand why he won't just tell his wife that he has another wife. According to tradition, my aunt is his wife because he paid lobola, and the families have exchanged gifts.

"You really should've ignored the call. What now?" My aunt looked annoyed. "I think it's time that she knows about me. This is getting annoying. Technically, we're married. We just haven't signed anything. I just gave birth to your third son. The fact that I'm still a secret is ridiculous." My aunt said and stormed off. She was pissed.

They all sat there awkwardly. Thabo put his phone off. "Thandi, go ask your aunt to come back out, please." I did as she said. My aunt was standing over Lethu's bassinet. "It's not fair, baby, I know. Someone as special as you and your brothers shouldn't be hidden. You deserve a father. No, you deserve a dad."

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying. "Ma, they're asking for you." She sighed and sat on her bed. "Okay." Was all she said, and she followed me back to the kitchen.

"Makoti, what's the issue. I believe in talking things through and venting. All of us do. It's the reason why we're all so close. Everyone here is your mother, sister, and best friend. We want what's best for you. Come, talk. I've heard my son's side of the story countless times. I need to hear yours because I don't understand what just happened. According to Thabo, you're the one who doesn't want Sethu to know you exist."

My aunt's eyes widened in shock. She looked at Thabo, and he looked extremely nervous. "Wow." Was all she said. A tear fell from her eye. I'm not used to seeing her cry. She's always so strong. Even when she deals with my dad. She doesn't flinch. I didn't even realize this situation with Thabo affected her so much.

"Makoti." She just shook her head. "It's fine, Ma. Leave it." She seemed like she had given up. She never gives up. What was going on with her? "I think I'm going to go rest." She said and walked away. Thabo didn't even try to go after her.

"Ma? Can I come in?" I opened the door, and she was under her covers. "Ma?" She sat up. "Yes, princess. Come in." I went to go sit next to her. "Are you okay?" She took my hand in hers. "I'm okay. Don't worry about me." I hugged her. "I don't like seeing you like this." We laid in bed and eventually fell asleep. I helped her with the baby that night.

"Please, can we talk." I was sitting on the couch with her when Thabo came towards us. "If we're talking, then we're talking in front of everyone because you seem to be lying about me. How many times did I not beg you to introduce me to her so we can have a normal life? So my children could have a father who doesn't only visit them when he's fighting with his first wife. So I could have a husband who is not scared to be out in public with me. How many times, Thabo?
When you wanted to get married, I told you we need to be introduced. You said she would ruin the wedding if you told her. A wedding which by the way I'm still waiting for. You come here every odd weekend and play house as if I'm a side piece.
I must listen to you go on and on about her as if I'm a therapist. If she doesn't want to hear about me, what makes you think I'm comfortable with hearing about her for hours on end. 
You complain about her not giving you sons every chance you get while your actual sons lay asleep in the other room. I'm tired. I'm tired of being treated like the other woman while simultaneously giving you everything your wife couldn't. Either go fetch your lobola and leave me alone or tell your wife she has a sister wife."