46

I fell to the ground hearing the gunshots. I knew it was my time. I heard a loud thud in front of me, and when I opened my eyes, my father's lifeless eyes were staring directly into mine. My aunt came rushing towards me. She grabbed me and hugged me tightly.

What was happening? I was supposed to be dead. I turned my head to see the tent swarming with police officers in bullet proof vests. My father's lifeless body laid on the ground next to us. I was numb. I was completely numb.

An ambulance was waiting outside and I was just going through the motions. They checked me and I was fine. My brothers leg wound was luckily just a flesh wound and he was taken to the hospital. I spent hours at the police station giving a statement covered in my father's blood. They had no empathy. They were just doing their job so they could get it over with.

We were swarmed by reporters on our way out of the police station. My aunt put a jacket over me and led me to the police car that took us home. Just like at the police station reporters waited outside our house. Once again my aunt covered me up and led me into the house. She got me into the shower and bathed me as silent tears fell from my eyes. She got me dressed and tucked into bed.

I tried so hard to fall asleep but every time I closed my eyes, I saw him standing there with a gun to my head. My aunt rushed to my room for the fifth time today as I woke screaming. "You're okay. Shh, he's gone. He's gone, baby." She held me, and I cried in her arms. The image of his lifeless eyes meeting mine kept playing in my head as if he was haunting me.

"Come eat something." She wiped my tears and I held her hand walking into a house full of people. The murmurs stopped as I walked past everyone into the kitchen. "Oh, thank God you're okay!" My grandmother threw her hands around me. "I thought we were going to lose you." She hugged me tightly and so did a few other people  

"Your brother is out of hospital he just went to give his statement and then he'll be home later today." Ma said and I nodded and took a seat. She gave me a plate of food. "Thandi, we were thinking and it's only right that we postpone everything. The lobola negotiations can be done another time." I knew this was going to come up.

I shook my head. "No ma. We continue as planned. That man is not going to take any more of my joy. He's dead. Let him rot in the ground. I'm not sacrificing anything for him anymore." She nodded. "Okay, I'll contact the Dlamini's." That reminded me that they were there and I haven't heard from them.

"Ma can I go see them. I need to make sure MaRadebe is okay." She nodded. "Reporters are still camped out outside. And you know our neighbors. They're all gunning for their five minutes of fame. Your grandmother suggested we sit down with the Dlamini's to see where we all stand but we're going to have to have that meeting away from the press."

I ate and then went to my room and put my phone on charge. I immediately called Senzo when I had enough battery life.

"Mamakhe. Finally, how are you doing?" I was relieved to hear his voice. "I'm fine Baba. With everything going on I didn't get a chance to check up on you. How are you?" I could hear talking in the background and his family that came to my ceremony were probably still there. "I'm fine Mamakhe. Don't worry about me." I wiped the tears that escaped my eyes. "How is everyone else? How's Ma?" He chuckled.

"The two of you are a match made in heaven. She's worried about you. You're worried about her. The two of you need to learn how to be selfish. But I'll answer your question she is completely fine. We went to the hospital just to make sure she's fine and everything is fine. Her blood pressure was a bit high but it came down quickly after we got word that you're alright. I want to see you." I sighed. "I do too but the press is still outside. My family wants to set up an informal meeting. They're going to contact your elders." I informed him. "I think that's a good idea." We stayed in the phone until he was called away.

The next day I got dressed in my usual outfit. Long form fitting black dress and I pared it with heels I found in my aunt's cupboard that had African print on. I put on some of my beaded bracelets. I tied my hair in a bun and covered my head in a beaded cloth.

"Okay, I'm not even mad that you stole my shoes. Look at you." She stared at me in awe.  She helped me apply some light makeup and we were off. The press were still outside interviewing neighbors and waiting for me to come out. I wore my aunt's sunglasses when we went outside. Luckily they weren't allowed on our property. They moved for the cars and we were off to have lunch with the Dlamini's.

It felt like we drove forever until we got to the restaurant. MaRadebe came running out before we even set foot in the restaurant. She grabbed me and hugged me tightly and I held onto her for as long as she would allow. "I thought I lost you when I heard those gunshots." It was the first time I saw her cry. She didn't even cry at her husband's funeral.

I wiped her tears like she'd done for me many times. "I'm fine ma. I'm here and that's all that matters." We all sat down to eat. Senzo and I sat at opposite ends of the table. And even though all I wanted to do was grab him and hug him I couldn't. We were surrounded by elders and we had to be respectful.

"Now we understand that our children are in a rush for some reason. I don't know why. Is it because of a baby?" One of the Dlamini elders asked. I choked on the wine I was sipping on. My aunt tapped my back holding back her laughter. "It's a valid question. These customs and traditions are usually done over a period of time. Sometimes years and you want to squash it all in one week. So? Are we celebrating a Dlamini grandchild or is there another reason this is being rushed?"

Senzo looked at me as if he wanted to ask me something and I knew exactly what his question was. I shook my head no and he got the message. "There's no grandchild yet. We've just decided now is the time." He responded to his uncle. "Okay. I respect your wishes but hear us out. There's a whole lot of speculation going around and the press is on high alert. The chief is going to put out a statement this afternoon and the press is probably going to react to it. We want this to die down before we continue. We're asking for at least four weeks before we continue."

Four weeks! That a whole month!

"A month? No way." Senzo responded. Good! I'm not waiting a whole month. "Senzo." MaRadebe tried to reason. "Two weeks. That's how long I'm willing to wait to start the process. Two weeks and if the press is still all over us I don't care." Even two weeks annoyed me but at least it wasn't a month.

Everyone agreed on two weeks and the conversation got much lighter. My phone lit up on the table and I knew exactly who it was. I grabbed it so my grandmother who was sitting next to me wouldn't notice it. It was a text from Senzo telling me to meet in the toilet.

"You better sit down and finish your food." My aunt said under her breath. I forgot that she was on the other side of me. I could feel Senzo's eyes on me. I looked to him and moved my eyes to my aunt and he sighed knowing exactly what I was saying.

Eventually the wine everyone was drinking kicked in and we had the whole restaurant to ourselves. A few people sat outside and others drifted off to other tables. My aunt disappeared with some of the ladies giving Senzo and I a chance to go up the stairs.

When we got to the second floor we hugged for what felt like forever. "The police came in from the sides moving people out and they wouldn't let me stay. When I heard the gunshots I thought I lost you forever." We spent the afternoon together and our families got along so well we stayed and had dinner.

We were driving home and I was driving with Senzo, MaKhumalo, and MaRadebe. "Besides for your father ruining the night I have to admit your aunt knows how to throw a party. The decor, the entertainment, the music, the food. Oh my god the food. I need to find out who her caterers are. Oh, and your dress. Infact everyone's outfits were amazing. How could I forget about that entrance Princess Thandi Bhengu. Everything was amazing. And to think she had a couple of weeks and a random empty field. Imagine if she had time and a venue. Are you going to have a white wedding?" MaKhumalo asked.

"Hopefully not anytime soon. We have a lot to still get done." Senzo looked at me through the mirror. "You sure?" I nodded. "Definitely. Maybe we can do it as a first anniversary or something. But after all these traditional customs and ceremonies are done I need a break."

"MaBhengu has anyone ever told you that you're really boring?" She asked and I gasped. The whole car burst out in laughter.  It felt good to laugh after everything that happened.