3

That night, we cleaned around the house, and I complained to her about Senzo and told her everything he said. He wasn't the first to say things like that about me. People around here always said stuff like that because of the way I dressed. Most people were just jealous of our lifestyle.

Our house was one of the bigger ones in the township. Four rooms and two bathrooms, a living room, and a kitchen. We even had a hut outside in our yard. That was way more than most people had around here. I suspected that adds to why some people don't like us.

I woke up to banging on the gate. "We have come to check if the Princess's flower is still intact! Open up! We've been sent by the chief!" What the hell? That was quick. Why are they here so early, and why are they yelling. "Open up! We've been sent by the chief to confirm the virginity of his daughter!" Oh no! Why did this lady have to scream it to the whole world. What's worse is we have to bribe her first. What if she doesn't take the bribe, and I'm further embarrassed by this.

"Thandi, get dressed!" My aunt went to speak to them while I took a bath and got dressed. I put on a short skirt and a tube top. When I walked out of the bathroom, I almost had a heart attack. I was met with my dad and uncle, and two old ladies from the village were there too. How the hell was I going to fake this now? I was going to be dragged back to the village by the time we were done today. I didn't know what to do.

"Princess, don't just stand there." I hugged my father and uncle. They spoke about how proud they were, and I was sitting in a silent panic. My aunt was keeping it together better than me, but I knew she was panicking.

"What the hell are we going to do?" I asked her panicked while we cleaned the hut. "I don't know. I do not know. Just do the test, and when you fail, we'll fight to keep you here. I won't let you go back there, okay? I promise. I know it's going to be embarrassing and difficult to get through the backlash, but it's either that or go back with your dad and marry one of his disgusting, broke friends. Thandi look at me. I will fight with everything in me to keep you here. I won't allow him to take you, okay?" I nodded and took a deep breath, mentally preparing myself for the outcome of this test.

My heart was beating in my chest. I was terrified. I was in my room, and I was told to take off my skirt and underwear and wrap one of my red and white traditional print wraps around my waist. I looked out my window and saw the whole neighborhood standing outside of our house. This was the thing I hated most about living here. Everyone was always in everyone else's business.

There was a knock on my door, and my aunt came in. She wiped tears from my face that I didn't even know I cried. "Pull yourself together." I took a deep breath. "Will you come in with me please and hold me?" I asked with a shaky voice.  She nodded and hugged me. I held her hand as I walked outside. My uncle drew even more attention by shouting our clan praises.

The two ladies sat in the hut waiting for me. A grass mat was laid out for me. My aunt took a seat at the other end, and I went to go lay down. I laid my head in her lap and shut my eyes tightly. They lifted my legs, and I felt cold hands touching me. My breathing picked up, and my aunt held my hand.

"It's too dark in here we can't really see." This was taking forever. "I'm going to have to feel. Just relax, okay?" How the fuck was I supposed to relax after some old lady who looks like she on her death bed told me she was about to put her fingers in me.

I didn't want her anywhere near me so when I felt her fingers I clenched. "Cry." I heard my aunt whisper. The lady was still trying to force her boney finger in me, and I decided to do as I was told. I cried but she didn't stop so I pulled away. "Okay, okay! We're done right, ladies? We're done,  Thandi." She held and spoke to me like a baby, and I decided to be even more dramatic. My dad stormed in. "What did you do to her?!" He screamed.

I felt a hand on my back as my aunt held onto me tighter. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." I cried in my aunt's arms. "I'm sorry, princess. Did she pass?" My dad asked, and I cried hard. "Yes, she passed." The lady said, and I was shocked.

My dad went outside, and they shouted our clan praises and told all the damn neighbors that I was still a virgin. We didn't quite do the test right, but I couldn't even get one finger in properly without hurting her, so that's good enough for me. What do you think?" The one lady asked the other. "No, she's definitely a virgin. I saw you struggling. You wouldn't have struggled like that if she wasn't. We're sorry, princess, for hurting you."

"I think it's more the shock than anything else." My aunt said, and they hummed in response. "Let me go get her some sugar water." Both of them left. I heard one of the ladies start singing, and the neighbors joined.

"How did that happen?" I asked my aunt when I was sure. "We got lucky. You know these tests don't really wor,  and these ladies are old and stupid. Just be grateful. Don't question it." I drank the sugar water and eventually left the hut. Our yard was full of people. My dad invited everyone to a party the next day.

My dad and uncle made a sacrifice to our ancestors and asked them for my safe keeping. I didn't really have any traditional clothing in the city but a wrapped the same cloth around my body again. I danced and sang with everyone. Everyone was getting drunk, but I decided to stop drinking when I got tipsy. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of my father.

"Thandi, there's someone here who wants to talk to you." My aunt pulled me away from the group. "It's Senzo." I rolled my eyes. "Oh, stop being so dramatic. He's come to apologize, and he has flowers." I looked at her confused. "I'm pretty sure his tune has changed because everyone thinks you're a virgin. He basically called you a slut the other day so he probably feels guilty. Also, this is your chance to win him over."

Win him over? I guess but what about the family? I went to the front of the house and there he was. He had flowers in one hand and a box in the other. I couldn't really see because it was dark.

"Hi." He said awkwardly and cleared his throat. "Hi." I said back and kept my head bowed. "I'll leave you two to it." My aunt said and left. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry about the other day. I was a complete fool. It's just that I'm protective about my parents and I didn't want anyone to take advantage of them. Not that I'm saying you were taking advantage of them." He said nervously. "It's fine. I understand." I said softly.

"These are for you just to say I'm sorry." He handed me the flowers and I couldn't help but smile. "Thank you. They're beautiful." I said smelling them. "I got you something else but why don't we step out of the yard and go stand under the lamp post so you can see properly." He took my hand and led me out the yard. He was gaining more confidence.

I saw the velvet box in his hand. "This is a gift to you to say thank you for taking care of my parents and to hopefully start a new friendship." He opened the box and I gasped. In the box lay a diamond necklace. Well, I was assuming they were diamonds. "That's beautiful. I don't think I can take that. That's too much."

"Come on." He said gently pulling me against him. "Its a gift. You have to take it. A gift as beautiful as it's recipient." Okay I was actually blushing. "Turn around let me put it on for you." I did as he said and I shivered when the cold metal touched my skin. "Thank you. It's beautiful." I said and we fell into silence looking in each other's eyes.

"Thandi! It's getting cold and late! Come inside!" My aunt shouted from the porch. "Okay, I'll be there in a minute!" I said, and she went back inside. "I guess you need to go. I hope to see you again. Can I have a hug, or are you still mad at me?" He joked, and I kind of liked the confidence he was showing. I giggled a little bit. "How could I still be mad at you after such a beautiful gift?" He smiled. "Okay then. How about a goodnight hug.

I smiled shyly, and after a few seconds of contemplation, I stood on my tippy toes and put my arms around his neck. He immediately wrapped his arms around my waist and held on tightly.

"Thandi!" I heard my aunt yell, and we let go of each other. "Goodnight." I said and went into my house.