Part 17

Chapter 17
Roon began speaking as she sailed with Nero.
"I really missed you. At first, I didn't know you were gone. The commander told me way after you left. I spent the rest of the morning laying on my bed and waiting for your return.."
"... I'm sorry that I didn't warn you myself, I thought I'd get back sooner.. I hope you didn't feel too lonely while I was gone."
"What happened to me isn't important. Did Akagi hurt you?" She asked while apprehensively looking at him.
"No, she didn't..." He answered while Roon stared very intensely and carefully.
"Uh... Roon..?"
"I'm just looking for any scratches on your face... but it looks like she really didn't hurt you."
"You don't trust me...?"
"When it comes to these situations, I don't. I know you'd lie about getting hurt to not worry anyone."
Nero didn't deny nor confirm her statement. He simply stayed quiet.
"So I'm right?" Roon smiled.
"... Damn it, I can't say you aren't.." He smiled too. They stopped talking for the rest of the trip; he wrapped her shoulders with his arm while sailing beside her. The silence between them wasn't awkward at all: on the other hand, it was very comfortable. The only missing element to make this scene perfect is a scenic sunset, but unfortunately it was 2:15 PM when they were returning to the main island.

Once they finally arrived, the commander greeted them along with his secretary.
Nero's face shifted as soon as he saw him: his new expression was not friendly at all.
"Alright asshole, you REALLY enjoyed messing with me, huh?" Nero walked to him.
"I thought you'd enjoy it!" The commander tried to justify himself but Nero's grudge wouldn't let him.
"Oh yeah? I made it pretty clear that I didn't want to stay there too long since I SET FOOT on that island. I called you as soon as Taihou told me I was supposed to stay. And how did you react? «Enjoy your vacation»? You think you're funny?" Nero continued venting his frustration on the poor commander while Eugen watched with an amused smirk on her face. The commander really wished she'd help him but obviously she did not.
Once Nero's rant was over, the commander and Eugen left.
"Aw, don't be too harsh on him.." Roon commented.
"He got what he deserved. Actually, he deserved worse than this, but since he already has his own concerns I let him get away with it. But if he does something like this again, I won't hold back."
"It sounds like you had a very bad time at the japanese island, what happened?"
"I mean, besides Akagi, I had some fun. I'm a little mad because he allowed Akagi to keep me there as long as she wished without asking for my consent! I don't even know why he did that!"
And you'll never know, Nero! However, since you readers are, well, readers, you deserve to know everything (or almost) about this story!
So, let me take a few steps back; it all happened during the night after Roon had her breakdown...

Flashback
The commander was sitting at his desk, finishing up his last work. His very diligent secretary wasn't helping him out as per usual.
The commander yawned while compiling the last paper of the day; since he was quite worn out, he skimmed the contents of the paper and finally signed it. And guess what the paper was about? A formal request from the Sakura Empire to hold Nero under its custody for an undetermined amount of time!
But the commander was too tired to pay enough attention, so he payed it no mind! He only realized what he had done the next morning, before going to Roon's old room: it was too late to change anything.
Flashback end

But now, let's return to the present.
"He might have simply forgotten to warn you.." Roon hypothised
"Honestly, I don't want to know his reasons. All that matters is that I'm back here in one piece." Nero recollected his thoughts for a moment, eventually he remembered about Dido.
"Wait, has Dido come to our room while I was gone?" He asked Roon.
"I've been there the whole time since your departure and I'm sure she hasn't." She replied.
"Alright then."
"Hey, Nero.."
"Hm?"
"I just had an idea.. Do you want to eat at the italian restaurant tonight?"
"Italian restaurant? We have something like that here?"
"Well, the Regia Marina (Sardegna Empire) is part of the Azur Lane as well."
"Regia- what?" Nero confusedly looked at her.
"Italy's Royal Navy. Never heard of it?"
"Italy's Royal Navy??? There's an italian branch of the Royal Navy??"
Roon facepalmed and I can't blame her.
"Italian ships." She simplified.
"Ooooh!" Nero finally understood. It's alright Nero, you're doing your best!
"Anyways, do you want to eat there with me tonight?" She asked again.
"Sure, I've eaten pizza before, it's awesome."
"... We're not going to eat pizza... You know Italy has plenty of typical dishes, right?" 
"... Roon, I'm american, you're expecting too much from me."
Roon laughed; "It's okay, I love you the way you are."