ARC II Part 9 + Part 10

ARC II Chapter 9
As the small squad split up, the woods kept burning. Many girls went out of their dormitories to investigate what happened, and soon enough they reached the entrance of the woods. Their reactions to the event were mainly two: some were glad about the fire (especially the younger girls) while others were shocked.
"Everyone, go back to your rooms!" The commander yelled, "I will explain everything later in the morning! Now go!"

After struggling to dismiss the crowd, the commander returned to his office. He sat down at his desk and sighed while resting his head on its surface.
"May I bother you?" Nero asked while standing at the doorway. The commander raised his head and looked at him.
"Sure, come in."
Nero walked behind the desk and leaned his back against the wall.
"So... May I have the privilege to know what the hell happened in advance?" He asked.
The commander stood up from his chair and leaned against the wall next to Nero.
"Yeah, naturally... Although you might have an idea of the reason why I burned the woods."
"You talked about them being a Siren base earlier?"
"That was pretty much what they had become. It was way too dangerous to keep them. I know this will have repercussions on the Azur Lane's reputation and the media surely cannot know that the commander himself burned the woods."
"Baltimore assumed that the Sirens burned them ... Should we actually say that to the media?"
"That is the only solution, yes. Although such an answer could begin to spread the fear of the Sirens' return, but... We have no choice."
"Yeah... I understand, commander. Thank you for explaining." Said Nero as he pushed himself away from the wall and began walking out of the office.
"Wait." The commander suddenly stopped him.
"Hm?" Nero turned around.
"Remember when I said that a new war with the Sirens was likely to erupt?"
"... Wait, now that you remind me... Are we actually getting in a war again?"
"I think it's inevitable, and not only because of what happened tonight. I have something important to tell you." The commander sat down on his chair and urged Nero to sit on the one in front of the desk. Nero sat down as his curiosity was suddenly triggered.
"Earlier tonight, Sovetsky Soyuz arrived here unexpectedly." The commander started explaining.
"Sovetsky Soyuz..?"
"She's the flagship of the Soviet Navy."
"Wait... Didn't you go to Russia some days ago?" (It happened in ARC I Chapter 17.1)
"I did. The reason I was called there was that the Siren activity in the Arctic Ocean began increasing. Earlier tonight, Soyuz came here in person to warn me that the Sirens were becoming alarmingly more present in the Arctic. She said there were many Siren bases and Mirror Seas away from the coast. The risk of a new Siren assault on Earth is plausible, and I think that if the Soviet Union were to fall, there would be no obstacles between the Sirens and the Azur Lane. But that isn't the point: I would never sit and watch as a country faced a planetary threat. Even though the Soviet Union left the Azur Lane long ago, I think it's everyone's duty to defend the Planet. Do you agree?"
Nero looked at the commander worriedly as he processed the commander's information.
"... I agree, of course. I can't believe another war is coming..." He said.
"Starting tomorrow, the lessons at the Academy will be suspended and replaced with joint naval exercises. Nero, for the sake of the Earth, you must train properly and get accustomed to your rigging. Speaking of which, may I actually see it?"
Nero nodded, stood up and summoned it. We have already seen it once (ARC I Chapter 17.1), but let's repeat its key features: a 6x3 280mm (11 inch) main battery and a dual-purpose secondary battery.
"... A large cruiser, it seems. A very powerful one too. I've never seen this many main guns on a large cruiser before. So much firepower onto a single ship is surely needed in Russia." The commander commented while analyzing Nero's armament.
"Commander, I couldn't see your rigging very well earlier, could you show it to me again?"
"Sure." The commander stood at a safe distance from Nero before summoning his own rigging. Again, its key features: in the past (ARC II Chapter 2.1) I had only revealed the caliber of the guns, 450 mm (18 inch). However, I should definitely complete the description of the commander's rigging. As per usual, it was split into two halves of a hull; since the commander was a battleship, the halves were wider than those in Nero's rigging. On each half were two main gun turrets for a total of four. The frontmost pair of turrets sustained 4 cannons each while the backmost pair (elevated by barbettes) sustained 3 guns each. So, the main battery consisted of 2x4 and 2x3 450 mm guns. The secondary battery wasn't too articulated.
"Woah... Your rigging is way bigger than mine, and you've got lots of guns as well!" Nero observed the rigging carefully.
"Fourteen main guns, yeah. Thanks to their arrangement I can also fire all my guns frontally without needing to expose the broadside of my rigging to enemy fire. On the other hand, the arrangement of your gun turrets doesn't allow you to fire a full salvo frontally, since only the turrets in the middle on each half of the hull are supported on barbettes. So, when aiming in front of you, you can only fire the guns on the frontmost and middle turrets. Unlike what you might think, this isn't really a design fault, but I'd consider it a feature."
"Theoretically speaking, if me and you were arranged in a straight line and aimed in the same direction, how many shells would we able to fire if we both unleashed a full salvo?" Nero asked out of curiosity.
"Fourteen plus eighteen... Thirty-two shells. Heh, if we fired at a target and all the shells hit, it would be very hard for that target to stay afloat. But that isn't all." The commander continued, "If we both focused our energy in our main guns, they would reload much, much faster, until they'd be able to fire one shell per second. If we began firing full-auto mode, the target would be bombarded with thirty-two shells per second."
"A strategy like that would basically guarantee us victory against an enemy, and maybe even against a whole fleet!" Nero was excited about the commander's hypothesis.
"Wanna try that out?" The commander smiled.
"... We can??" Nero was extremely curious now.
"Sure, come with me." The commander left the office and Nero followed.