ARC II Part 6

While we leave the commander and Eugen to their work/date, let's see how Roon is doing on her first day of school after years. Unfortunately for her, Nero will not be able to spend the morning with her since he's mostly busy with Gneisenau's latin lectures. Let's hope nothing bad will happen when he isn't looking.

ARC II Chapter 6
The 1 PM bell finally rang: it is the most anxiously awaited bell by almost all the students, since it introduces an hour of free time to spend within the academy. The students can choose how to spend this hour freely, and they can even use the academy's pool, because playing and having fun is important not only for children, but also for teens. And adults too, probably. Roon, of course, was not aware of this, and when all her classmates suddenly got up and left the classroom, she was inevitably very confused. Her teacher (HMS Duke of York, because English literature is important) explained to her what was happening before leaving.
"The commander is really benevolent, isn't he?" Said Roon while thinking out loud. She thought about where she could go thoroughly before getting up and leaving the classroom.

"I have no idea where I should go.." she told herself while walking in the hallway. Going to the pool wasn't a good idea, since she would only ruin everything for the other girls; she didn't feel like reading in the library either. In the end, the only thing she could think of was to visit Nero and Gneisenau.

"No offense, but you became surprisingly diligent since the commander left.." said Gneisenau while Nero was busy translating a basic latin sentence.
"All I needed was motivation, that's all."
"... So you're putting effort into this because you don't want to leave Roon alone..?"
"Is that wrong? I don't see why I should do this but for her. I absolutely cannot leave her alone, knowing that she isn't welcome here because of most girls. What if she got bullied today? What if her classmates kept bullying her during my absence and she lost her temper? ... I promised the commander I would take full responsibility for Roon. What I need to do now is to catch up with latin as soon as possible so I can stay with her longer."
Gneisenau didn't say anything in response for a while.
"... It seems I misjudged you, Nero." She said.
"Huh? What did you think about me at first?"
"Well, you looked like the classic rebellious and undisciplined teenager to me until now, but... you just proved me wrong."
"I mean... You're not entirely wrong, y'know. I don't really like studying, but Roon needs me, so I can't just surrender to my selfishness and move to another section. It's not that big of a sacrifice either: after all, I have pretty much no one else other than her."
"You must be really close friends."
"Oh, uh..." Nero stopped for a second, "I think we are... more than friends now."
"Oh? Well, it's not surprising. But you don't sound like you're completely sure about that. Shall we ask her?"
"Ask her..? Do I send her a text or something..?"
"No need, considering she's been behind you for a while now."
Nero took a second to process what Gneisenau said; he couldn't turn around in time to notice Roon, who hugged him tightly from behind.
"Roon?? How long have you been here??"
"I don't know exactly, but long enough to listen to what you said." She answered in a teasing manner.
"Uh- So- are we-" he was about to ask her about their relationship, but he was stopped by Roon's lovely, romantic and passionate kiss. Yeah, we are basically more than 25 chapters in and this is only the second time they kissed. Ahem, anyways, the kiss lasted a dozen of seconds before Roon finally let him go.
"Is this good enough of an answer?" She asked while smirking. Our protagonist still has to get used to this kind of things, so he felt quite embarrassed due to the fact Gneisenau was right in front of them.
"Uuuh- I- I guess??" He stuttered while blushing. Roon couldn't help but chuckle and Gneisenau tried to be as still and quiet as possible so as not to bother them.
"W-well, how was your first day, Roon? Did you by chance make any friends?"
"You're overestimating me. But besides that, I was really happy to sit in a classroom once again. Of course everyone did not look happy to see me, but I got used to this treatment by now. All in all, it was a good day."
Nero smiled in relief after hearing that Roon didn't get in any trouble.
"That's great. I'm sorry if it was a bit boring since you had no one to talk to, but unfortunately I have to catch up with latin... You'll have to be on your own for weeks, possibly. Obviously I'll try to be as quick as possible."
"If it's a problem for you, we can move sections."
"... Really??" Nero's expression lit up.
"Yeah!" She smiled.
Nero hugged her tightly: "YOU'RE THE BEST.... Best.... Uuh... Girlfriend? You're my girlfriend now, right?"
"You're still not sure? Do you want me to demonstrate again?" She smirked.
"N-no no! .... I mean, not here! ... B-but I'm not saying I want you to kiss me! Uuh-"
"I never talked about kissing.." she faked a confused expression.
"Wh-what??"
Roon laughed: "Your reactions are so funny!"
Nero laughed nervously; Gneisenau watched them.
"Oh, my bad, Gneisenau... By the way, how do we move sections?" He asked.
"Simply talk to the commander about it."
"Uh, do you know where he could be?"
"Sorry, I have no idea. If he's working, you'll find him in his office, but if he isn't, you'll have to wait until he comes back."
Nero suddenly remembered he had his number: "Oh, wait, I can just call him!" He took his phone and did so.
"Hey commander, been a while!"
"Hey Nero" the commander whispered on the phone, "what do you need?"
"Uh... Why are you whispering?"
"It's not important. Just tell me what you need."
"Uh, it's something I could simply tell you right now on the phone, but I wanna see you in person since it's been so long, so where are you now?"
"Uh... Well, first of all, I'm in a pretty awkward situation... Second of all, in the hot springs."
"... Wait... You're... Enjoying your free time? You can do that?"
"Yeah, apparently... Do you know where the hot springs are?"
"No."
"Uh, are you still with Gneisenau?"
"She's still here, yeah."
"Ask her to lead the way."
"Are you sure it's okay..?"
"Yeah, tell her it's an order from the commander if she asks anything." And the commander hung up.
Nero turned to Gneisenau: "Uh, hey, can you lead us to the hot springs? We gotta meet the commander there.."
Gneisenau nodded and got up: "Follow me." She left the room and Nero and Roon followed.