Part 15

Chapter 15
"What's the maid's name?"
"Her name is Dido, the eponymous cruiser of the Dido-class. For historical reasons, when she reincarnated in her KANSEN form, she was characterized by anxiety towards the concept of abandonment. Specifically, she fears that her Master, no matter who that is, could abandon her. As far as I know, the cause of abandonment that she fears the most is inefficiency in her job. That is why I think she works very hard, maybe too hard. She does so in order to prove that she is worthy, and as time passes, she grows more and more obsessed with working impeccably. I'm concerned about Dido..." The queen kneeled before him, setting her pride aside: "I'd be very grateful if you taught her that no one expects her to be perfect."
Nero didn't see that coming at all.
"Your Majesty, you don't need to implore me! I will help her!" Nero instinctively held the little queen's hips and sat her down on her chair.
Elizabeth felt quite embarrassed by that; she attempted to hide it but Nero noticed.
"Ahem." , the queen cleared her throat and smiled, "Thank you for your kindness, Nero."
Nero smiled too: "It's a pleasure to help others." It was the first time Nero smiled at Elizabeth sincerely. After their first encounter, he was tense because the commander told him that Elizabeth was a 'spoiled brat', but now he started viewing her differently. Maybe the queen was different from what the rumors claimed. Maybe she was in a situation similar to Roon's.
"Your Majesty, are you aware of the rumors about you?" He asked.
"Rumors are insignificant. I am aware of them, but I pay them no mind." The queen replied. She tried to answer with a completely neutral tone, but she couldn't fully hide her annoyance towards the rumors. Nero detected her annoyed tone and he noticed her expression looked slightly annoyed too. He didn't want to point it out, but he would help her too eventually.
"Is that all you had to ask?" The queen spoke after regaining her composure.
"Yes. I will do my best to help Dido." Nero answered.

Nero walked out of the teachers' office as he wondered what Dido could look like and what he could do to help her. After exiting the academy, his priority was checking on Roon. Even though the danger of Roon having a breakdown was gone, he still felt paranoid about it. And he still felt responsible for it. He hastily walked to the american dormitory, he got in and he walked up to the second floor. He opened the door to his new room and he stepped in. Roon was sleeping.
"Good thing she's resting.." he mumbled to himself. He stood on the entryway for a minute, undecided on what to do. Then, he remembered about Roon's diary. The commander had made such a sad face after reading it that Nero was curious to know what was in that diary.
He sneaked to Roon's nightstand and he quietly pulled the drawer open. He took the diary and, as he remembered, the padlock was still unlocked. He opened the diary, but before he could start reading, Roon's hand grabbed the small notebook and it covered both pages.
Nero felt a chill down his spine. Roon pulled the diary out of his grasp.
"It's not very nice to take other people's things without their consent." Roon stared in his eyes with a mildly upset look on her face.
"Sorry... I was curious..."
"What did you read?"
"Nothing, I didn't have the time to start reading, don't worry!"
Roon got out of bed and she took the padlock's key from underneath the pillow, then she locked the padlock. She placed the diary back in the drawer.
"Are you mad at me now..?" Nero asked worriedly.
"I'm not. I'm just a bit upset."
Not knowing what to do to cheer Roon up, Nero went for a hug. After seconds of hesitation, Roon hugged him back.
He knew Roon's weakness were hugs. Overtime, they proved to be efficient in all kinds of situations, when it came to Roon. The hug lasted minutes before Roon backed away and stretched her arms.
But naturally their lovey dovey moment had to be interrupted by a knock on the door.
"Come in!" Nero yelled.
A woman wearing a maid outfit opened the door. Her hair was white, with a slight shade of violet, her eyes were magenta.
"Uh, I assume you are one of the Royal Maids? Does the queen need to talk to me again?" Nero asked sarcastically.
"No, she sent me here, though."
"Do you carry a message from her?"
"I don't. The queen informed me that starting today, I'll work for you."
"... What? ... Hold on, what's your name?"
"I am a light cruiser of the Royal Navy, Dido", the maid grabbed the edges of her skirt and she bowed, "at your service."