ARC III Part 4

ARC III Chapter 4
"This one hasn't dreamt of that which you speak of..."
As the moon was slowly descending to leave room for the sun, the commander was speaking with the second most important ship of the Sakura Empire, the aircraft carrier Shinano, sister of Musashi. She was held in very high regard by the other Japanese ships, not only because she was Musashi's sibling, but also because she was said to foretell the future in her dreams. Knowing this, our anxious commander decided to take the risk of learning about his future, and that of many others: he was perfectly aware of what it means to know the decisions of Fate, which cannot be revoked or defied, whether they are benevolent or ruthless. But, for the first time, he had an unknown urge to know how a part of his story would unfold; however, the Foreteller did not have an answer for him.
"... I don't know if I should consider myself lucky or not..." he said while observing the firmament.
"You should..." Shinano began looking at the stars as well, "Many envy this one for her wisdom... But this one envies them for their ignorance... They wish to know their Fate, unaware of the consequences... Unaware of the apathy which is brought to those who can see the chains of Fate... These chains are indestructible... And they wrap the wrists and ankles of every man, they never let go, even though they are loose... Even now, as we speak, these chains bind us..." She paused for a while and looked at him; he had been staring at her intently since she began speaking. Seeing that he was interested in what she was saying, Shinano resumed: "And blessed are those who can't perceive their feeble grip... But this one is cursed... Tormented by her visions... Forced to know what is yet to come... And unable to prevent the tragedies..."
The commander took a close look at her eyes: suffering and hopelessness were the only things he could think of.
"When you said you'd never dreamt of the operation in Russia... You were lying, right?" He asked her.
"... Forgive this one for her dishonesty, Commander..." She humbly apologized, bowing her head. But somehow, he could see that she was moving... mechanically... like a machine that follows a script...
"... You already know that I'll forgive you, don't you..?" He asked.
"I do..." She answered.
"Shinano... I know you want to protect me... But... Look, I won't even bother asking, you know what I want to tell you, right?"
"... The one who is waiting for you in Russia..." She slowly articulated her words as she gave him the answer he sought: he felt tension rising within himself for each word coming from her mouth.

"... Is the person you swore not to follow... The monster that plagued the Azur Lane and ruined your existence... Do you know whom this one is referring to..?"
The commander's skin turned pale, he was abruptly overcome by the fear which had been lying dormant deep within him, many unpleasant memories arose from the most remote corners of his mind, memories which he wanted to forget. He was paralyzed by that radical fear, born when he was still a child; after the "death" of his father, he thought that fear vanished. But now that Daniel learned he was waiting for him, that fear rapidly grew bigger once more.
"This one... has tried to protect you from the curse of the oracles... But you insisted..." She regretfully tried to justify herself, but her guilt wouldn't be disposed of so easily.
"... Don't worry, Shinano... Thank you..." He reassured her some minutes later, after he was able to speak again.
"You seem... very shocked, Commander... Perhaps it is best if you go back home..." She suggested.
"Yes... I should... Go back home now..." He stuttered while walking away, still disturbed from Shinano's revelation.

The commander's short trip back home was infested with glimpses of his father: he could never forget his apathetic gaze, his unforgiving nature, his authoritarian behavior... And knowing that he was still out there was very unsettling for Daniel.

When he had finally returned to his office, it was 5:32 AM. The sunrise was close, and there was no more time to rest for the commander, no more time to meditate or overthink, no more time to hesitate.
"Commander, welcome back." Gascogne, as always, was tremendously early. As she stood next to the desk, she resembled a servant ready to fulfill any order without question. This image reminded Daniel of his father's model of 'discipline', which he personally condemned and despised.
"I hope you didn't force yourself out of bed, Gascogne... You know you aren't meant to be here so early." He told her, not with a reproachful tone, but rather with a concerned one.
"I understand. Forgive me for my disobedience." She bowed slightly before she began walking towards the door. Before she could touch its handle, he grabbed her shoulder: "I'm not scolding you. I was just making sure you were doing well."
"I am in condition to execute any order of yours." She affirmed after turning around.
"Is that so..? You'd better be saying the truth, Gascogne. If I find out you're lying about your health, I will be sure to punish you." He looked at her a bit strictly. While staring in his eyes, Gascogne thought he looked very similar to his father in that moment...
"I understand." She responded. But in contrast with her expectations, he began petting her shortly after.
"... Sorry, but... You've always been so obedient and helpful up until now that I really can't help but cherish you... This isn't a bother to you, right?" He asked.
"Naturally, it's not. But do keep in mind that I was specifically designed to follow orders."
"It doesn't matter to me. What counts is that, frankly... You've been the most helpful secretary so far. That doesn't mean the others-" He was suddenly interrupted by Béarn, the other french secretary: "You have a soft spot for Gascogne, don't you?" She asked while standing in front of the door.
"OF COURSE NOT!!" He immediately took his hand off Gascogne's head and turned to Béarn, "ALL OF YOU ARE EQUALLY VALUABLE TO ME!"
"I was just kidding, commander. And even if you actually did, you would be justified, as far as I'm concerned."
"... Well... I have to admit I like various things about Gascogne..." He said timidly.
"Oh? May I ask you to be more specific?" Béarn's curiosity rose; Gascogne, on the other hand, did not seem to care. The commander felt hesitant about answering this question, but he had gone too far to turn back: "Well... Her discipline is admirable for sure... And, if I may be completely honest, she looks very pretty..."