ARC II Part 8

ARC II Chapter 8
"So, what's the plan for tonight?" The commander asked while digging through wet sand.
"What has that sand ever done to you?" Eugen asked ironically.
"I hate sand. When it gets stuck in my swimming trunks it burns my skin. This is simply payback."
"Fair point. Well, I can't think of many places except for the german pub. But you don't like alcohol, right?"
"I don't. I mean, we can just spend the night here, to be honest. Pulling an all nighter on a beach sounds fun."
"That could be an idea. But what will we do here for an entire night?"
"We will build a sand city." He said as he began throwing balls of wet sand in the water.
"No, I'm no 7 year old kid."
"I wish I was."

As they talked about what to do, they suddenly saw a group of numerous girls approach a beach volley field. Eugen noticed they were all italian or french.
"Oh... I think I know what's about to happen." She said.
"Volley match? Meh, boring game." He commented while trying to recognize all the girls. Unfortunately for him, his knowledge of the french navy was sparse, however he could recognize all the italian girls: Littorio, Roma and Giulio Cesare.
"Hey, who are the french girls?" He asked.
"Algérie, Gascogne and Dunkerque."
"Oh, right, Gascogne is gonna become my secretary tomorrow. So she can play volleyball? That's surprising."
"Wait... I don't think they're headed for the volleyball field..."
Eugen's hypothesis was correct: they walked past it and instead walked into the water.
"Oh... They're going to fight directly. This could be interesting." She observed.
"Woah woah woah. Not on my watch." Said the commander before he began approaching them.

"Alright, are you ready to lose?" Said Littorio as she summoned her rigging along with Roma and Giulio.
"You should get ready too, just in case." Algérie replied and summoned her own together with her teammates.
"I think you should get ready to lay down your weapons and stop this nonsense." The commander interfered while approaching.
"Seriously?" Roma looked at him in annoyance, "You never come out of your office and now you come here and tell us what to do? What makes you think we'll listen?"
"I'll let you know that fighting outside of naval exercises is strictly forbidden. If you decide to ignore me, there will be consequences for all of you."
"You clearly don't know who you're talking to." Roma began walking towards him, "you might even be the commander, but you should watch your tongue when speaking to me."
"Shit, I'm terrified right now." He said with a straight face.
"You should be. In fact, there will be consequences for YOU if you don't leave."
Roma's having this attitude with the commander not only because of her character itself, but also because of a major issue: since the commander was always absent in the girls' lives, he was not seen as an idol, a guide or someone to admire. In short, he lacked authority over them.
"... Looks like it's my fault if you disrespect me like this. Welp... I guess I have no choice but to use the hard ways."
"Hard ways? A simple human doesn't stand a chance against a KANSEN. Commander or not." She grinned in amusement.
"I'm sorry for what I'm about to do." He summoned his rigging. As we learned after Z46's first visit down the secret laboratory, the commander himself is a KANSEN too. It is the first time in the Azur Lane's history that a commander is a KANSEN.
"Y'know, I've always done my best to hide this from you all... But I don't care anymore. If this is the only way you can understand who's boss, so be it."
Roma and the rest of the girls looked at his rigging in great awe.
"... What..? Since when..??" She stuttered.
"Why would you even hide this from us..?" Littorio asked.
"Because I wanted to avoid any possible scandal. But now I don't think I need to hide anymore. Besides... Care to show me an example of those 'consequences' you were talking about, Roma?" He asked while staring at her dead in the eye.
"... Tch... You might be a KANSEN too, but that doesn't mean you're stronger than Roma herself!" She shouted before charging at him with her golden spear (Yeah, I just noticed she has a golden spear lol). As she charged, she kept her guns pointed at him. Before getting into this duel, be aware that the difference in their gun calibers is quite large: Roma's is approximately 381 millimeters, whereas the commander's is 450.
"I will not hold back just because you're the commander!" She yelled before shoving her spear towards his chest.
"And I won't hold back just because you're Roma." He replied and suddenly deflected her spear with one of his swords (dual swords supremacy). The blade hit her spear so hard that Roma was caught off guard and lost her grip on it. The spear was about to fall into the water, but the commander grabbed it in time.
"So, do you give up or do I have to hurt you?" He asked.
"... Damn you... I get it, just give me my spear back."
He handed her her spear: "Alright now, stop being immature and don't fight each other." He ordered.
"I guess we don't have much choice at this point... But Commander, the fact you are a KANSEN is really interesting." Said Littorio while approaching.
"Eh, it's not like I'm a special KANSEN. Nero is a male KANSEN too." He said as his rigging disappeared.
The french and italian girls discarded the idea of the fight and were walking away. The commander turned his back to them and began going back to Eugen.
But as soon as he turned around, Roma silently snuck behind him and pointed her spear at his back, ready to hurt him for real. The second she shoved her spear, the commander elbowed her gut in the blink of an eye. Of course Roma felt a quite acute pain which caused her to bend, drop the spear and cough. Once again, the commander picked it up before it could fall.
"You better not try anything stupid, Roma." He looked down on her strictly.
She raised her head and looked back at him.
"It doesn't matter if you humiliate me... I'll never recognize you are superior..." She took her spear back and turned around before leaving. The commander did the same.