Chapter 31: Letting Me Drive

Stella's POV 

Soon the adrenaline wore off, replaced by exhaustion. The lack of sleep over the last few days caught up to me. The room the Graywick placed me in was full of comfort, temping me to sleep.

I sat down on the edge of the bed and glared with long blinks. I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Knowing what would happen next, I succumbed to the exhaustion and laid down and shut my eyes.

"And look at that, nothing to bound me?" the Umbra Mortine asked with a smile as it looked at its free hands.

I shrugged as I stared at it, then looked at my sleeping body a few yards from me. "I'm already trapped. Why would I trap you too?" I asked with a smirk.

Graywick knew how much danger the Umbra Mortine was, but yet he just left me here, alone. It was as if he wanted something to go wrong. It made me realize that if Graywick was going to trap me, the least he could do was to experience the Umbra Mortine at its worst.

"I never thought I would hear that from you. Let's take a spin, shall we?"

"Works for me," I said as I watched the Umbra Mortine jump into my sleeping body.

Instantly, my hands grew black as I opened my eyes and got up from the bed. With confident steps, I walked to the locked door.

The Umbra Mortine rattled the handle with a frown. "It's locked."

"I know it is," I replied as I leaned against the door, waiting for its next move.

Normally when the Umbra Mortine took control, I never saw what it did. Or if I saw the Umbra Mortine, it was never in the place I was actually in. Instead, this was completely different. It was as if I was watching a movie and I was the main character, but I wasn't the lead. I was in the passenger seat as it took the reins.

I was not afraid as it smashed the door open with its brute force. Instead, a smile came to my face. Finally, I was watching the true power the Umbra Mortine had, and at the moment, I liked it. Graywick would now understand what kind of damage I could do. Finally, I would be his worst nightmare.

"Where are we going?" I asked as it walked down the hall.

"We are going to burn the library."

The smile I had slid down my face. I thought it was going to track down Darklings, not burn the library. We needed the Darklings to stand up against Graywick. That should be the most important thing. "What about the Darklings? I thought we would find them first?"

"And why would we do that? Don't you see that the library has information about my kind that I rather not disclose," it said as it stopped to look at me.

"But Graywick is in our way, remember? He is after us and our power. We need the Darklings to fight against him."

The Umbra Mortine leaned against the wall and chewed on its lip as it let my words sink in. "I liked how you used 'our'."

I nodded. I would say anything to get it to do what I wanted. "It's the truth, isn't it?"

It smirked in silence.

We both knew that if we did nothing, Graywick would come back to the room, ready to fight and take the Umbra Mortine. We couldn't let that happen. Especially when I had a feeling he would do exactly what he did to the Darkling when he pulled it into the room a few days ago.

Though the library might have been on the top priority for the Umbra Mortine, it wasn't even on my list. That library needed to stay intact. It had too many important works to destroy.