Chapter 28: You Do Not Need To Fear

Gray's POV

"Gray... Gray.... Gray..." Stella called out repeatedly.

It only took her to call my name a few times for me to open my eyes. In worry, I glanced around the room to make sure we were safe still. There was no apparent threat in the room, which made me wonder if she was alright.

"Are you ok?" I asked as my eyes met hers.

She nodded as she looked at the ropes tying her to the bed. "You know, just tied up at the moment," she smirked lightly. "I didn't want to wake you, but I really need to go to the bathroom."

Without wasting a moment, I jumped to my feet. Even with sleep hovering over my head, my fingers were nimble as I untied her.

She got up from the bed and stretched. "Bathroom is in the same place, right?"

I nodded, surprised she remembered. "Yup."

"I'll be back," she told me, then ran out the room to get to the bathroom.

While she was gone, I checked the time on the clock on my nightstand. It said it was two in the afternoon, which meant we slept for longer than I planned for. Stella was sure the Umbra Mortine would come out, but I did not see it. Nothing woke me up, which might have been a good sign.

Breaking me from my thoughts was a knock on the door. Before I had time to answer, Birch walked into my room with books in her hands.

"Morning."

"More like good afternoon," she replied as she stumbled in.

I chuckled at her humor as I took a seat in the desk chair as she placed the books on my desk beside me.

"You know, you should have waited for a response. What if I was naked?" I asked her.

She stopped to look at me, then shrugged. "That's unlikely with Stella here, especially since you can hardly work up two words to say to her," she pointed out rather harshly.

"I told her I loved her."

Her green eyes met mine as she stared in shock. "You did? Awww. Now that is cute. Good job."

"She asked if we were together."

"And you told her we aren't, right?"

"Obviously."

"Good. Well, Stella has nothing to worry about in that regard."

"Why is that?"

She placed her hand on my shoulder as if I didn't get it. Well, it was the truth. I didn't get it. I was clearly missing something.

"Because I'm gay, Gray. I don't find you attractive. At least not like that," she stated so plainly, as if it was common sense.

Following that statement, Stella walked back into the room. She looked a little awkward, then sat on the bed, which told me she heard enough of the conversation.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to hear that," she mumbled.

"It's fine. It really isn't a secret," Birch stated.

"I didn't know it," I said with a frown.

"It's because you are a little blind to these things."

"Hey!" I protested as I tried to keep it light.

She smirked as she turned to the books. "It's ok. I forgive you."

Just when I thought I knew Birch, this came up, and it made me realize maybe I didn't know her as well as I thought I did. There were things about her I didn't know and did that mean I couldn't trust her? I trusted Else, and I didn't know everything about her. Birch had to be safe to trust. She had to be.